LAN Technician II
LAN Technician II
LAN Technician II
IT Shared Services - 925000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm
Information Technology Shared Services (ITSS) is a component of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The IT Shared Services Department is seeking to hire a LAN Technician II to join their team. This position performs routine (journey-level) network work. Work involves the implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of local area networks. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Limited supervision and guidance of student employees.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Work with various platforms Laptops, tablets, phones, scanners and OS types such as Microsoft, Linux, Apple etc. to support network connectivity over common network media, connector types and topologies.
* Hands on operation and ongoing maintenance of network hardware and support of Layer 2 VLANs and VLAN trunking.
* Basic understanding of IP addressing, TCP/IP and IPv4 protocols including DNS, DHCP, ICMP, SNMP and testing tools such as Ping, Trace route, Nslookup.
* Manage inventory of network hardware including but not limited to configuration backups, and maintenance.
* Monitors HEAT and distributes tickets to the appropriate groups or members within Datacommunications.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's Degree in related field and three years of related computing work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Prior experience with specific systems, equipment and software may be specified as needed by department.
* Knowledge of principles of computing and communications networks, and characteristics of computing hardware and software used in distributed environment.
* Ability to operate computer keyboards and to install computer hardware.
* Ability to assimilate, retain and utilize technical and applications-oriented information.
* Valid Texas Drivers License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting