Part-Time Specialist IV, Student Services
DescriptionCommitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive. Conroe, Texas 77384-4500
Under general/limited supervision this position is responsible for multiple significant functions in Student Services. This position acts as an expert in many areas and provides advice and information to others. Ensures that all district policies/practices surrounding functions are implemented/carried out correctly by others. Typical duties may include information gathering and review, presentation of information in verbal or written form, some interpretation of information. At a higher levels, also provides advice and counsel in area of expertise such as Academic Advising, Financial Aid, Student Records.
- Advises and/or refers new and returning students on academic (credit and non-credit certificate programs) degree, degree audit, credit and non-credit, dual credit, exceptional admission, prior learning assessment and career planning
- Advises on proper course selection for all credit degree programs, credit and non-credit certificate programs, including course prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended course sequence as well as articulation agreements relating to bachelor degree programs
- Advises students on appropriate semester course load and workload
- Determines and assists student with eligibility for graduation upon completion of degree or certificate programs as well as course transferability to state, public, and private institutions
- Advises, interprets, and implements system/state policies regarding testing and placement, including credit by exam, prior learning assessment, state regulations for ACT, SAT, THEA, and TSI Alternatives such as Asset, Compass and AccuPlacer
- Advises, interprets, and implements the state and federal regulations for VA programs as needed
- Resolves student conflicts and makes referrals when necessary
- Assists with orientation of new students
- Assists with campus outreach to counselors, high schools and the community
- Collaborates on search committees and trains new full-time and part-time advisors
- Acts as expert and provide updates and training in two or more of the following areas: Academic Division, VA, Training, or International Students.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, strong organizational skills
- Commitment to customer service
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of students from various socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds
- Results-oriented and self-motivated person
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- A climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards is the general work environment
- Some evening and weekend hours are required
- Associate's degree or higher and at least one year of related work experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Customer service background.
- Experience in job-related area in a community college or university.
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Conroe
3200 College Park Dr (0400)
3200 College Park Dr
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Montgomery - 04
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Job Posting: Sep 20, 2018, 10:27:37 AM