Part-Time Specialist IV, Online Student Support Services
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-University Park Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area. LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region. Founded in 2010, LSC-University Park is located on a 71-acre campus that includes the comprehensive Lone Star College campus along with Lone Star Corporate College, the LSC-Energy & Manufacturing Center, multiple university partners, a charter high school, several commercial tenants and much more creating the college of the future. LSC-UP’s vision is to be nationally recognized as the model for the innovative college of the 21st century. LSC-UP’s “Invitation to Innovate” (i2i) has resulted in local, national and international awards and recognitions, including one patent. Campus address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607
Under limited supervision, this position acts as an expert in many areas of Student Services (with a focus on academic advising) and provides advice and information to others. Ensures that all System policies and practices surrounding Student Services functions are implemented and carried out correctly by others. Provides academic advising to student as well as operational support within the department. Acts as Subject Matter Expert to peers and visitors to the department.
- Acts as lead Specialist Advisor; coordinates and schedules the work of other Advisors and acts as Subject Matter Expert; informs all academic advisors of requirements changes and compliance issues.
- Acts as a liaison between Dean and other Advisors in department.
- Interprets a variety of test scores for placement purposes.
- Advises students on appropriate course selection and counsels students on appropriate semester course load and workload.
- Assists students in determining course transferability to state, public, and private institutions.
- Determines proper course of action for student`s conflicts on course scheduling, degree plans and transfer equivalency.
- Provides basic financial aid information for new, transfer and returning students.
- Listens to student concerns and determines if they need referral to other departments.
- Expert knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft products
- Demonstrated attention to details
- Excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently in a team oriented environment
- Ability to perform repetitive task for long periods of time
- Minimal physical effort is required
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- A 19.5 hour work week between 7:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday.
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You cannot attach a file that exceeds the allocated limit of 1024 kilobytes. You can attach a maximum of 10 files at a time. The search tool recruiter’s use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least 5 years of related work experience.
- Associate’s degree or higher and previous experience working in Admissions, Advising, or Financial Aid at a college.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions student records and LSC student portal.
- High degree of technical expertise in student self-service modules and sensitivity to customer issues and inquiries.
- Customer service background with high volume of email and/or chat (electronic) communications.
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
20515 Highway 249 - LSC University Park (0800)
20515 Highway 249
Job: Student Services
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Sep 20, 2018, 10:15:51 AM