Part-Time Specialist III, Student Services
DescriptionCommitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Lone Star College-North Harris:
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499
Supports other staff by performing task oriented duties while providing clerical, analytical, administrative, and operational support under general supervision. This position primarily performs specialized, specific functions requiring knowledge and experience in a particular area such as veteran affairs, international affairs, academic advising, admissions, financial aid, and student records. The Specialist composes written documents to help students and other campus representatives better understand VA educational benefits, international student affairs and/or state reporting.
Typical duties may include information gathering and review, presentation of information in verbal or written form, some interpretation of information. Assists students in processes relating to registration and admissions including academic advising on course transferability and may analyze transfer coursework, accreditation, catalogs and numbering/grading systems to affect and maintain the Degree Audit system files. Informs and orients students in order to help them succeed in a college setting.
- Provides high level advice and information
- Works the college’s information counter, phone center, and data entry center
- Assists new and returning students in all processes relating to admissions, registration, academic course advising, and course transferability
- Provides new students, in individual and group settings, information and orientation that will help them succeed in the college setting
- Advises, interprets, and implements district/state policies regarding testing and placement
- Processes degree plan requests and evaluates incoming transcripts
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Knowledge of Student Services
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task
- Proficiency with common office software
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High School Diploma and at least 1 year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100)
2700 WW Thorne Dr
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Job Posting: Sep 20, 2018, 2:25:23 PM