Part-Time Skills Instructor, Fire Science
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive. Conroe, Texas 77384-4500.
Part time Fire Science Skills Instructors work with Faculty/Instructors to provide students with hands-on experience in a controlled laboratory environment. Assists Faculty/Instructors in providing learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of course objectives. Primary responsibility is to assist in teaching course material within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Skills Instructors are hired on an as-needed basis, and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week. Schedule may include days or evenings with occasional weekends as assigned, depending on the needs of the department. Job Functions:
- Primary responsibility is to supervise and assist in skills instruction for students in the Structural Firefighter Recruit Program
- Under the supervision of a Faculty member or Instructor, teaches and coaches Recruit Firefighters during their Academy experience
- Maintains regular communication and coordination with course instructor(s)
- Assists in live fire evolutions and other rescue simulations
- Submits student learning reports and grade sheets. Completes other paperwork as requested by Instructor, which may include but is not limited to time sheets, program evaluations, and student evaluations
- Remains informed of new technologies in Fire Science and approaches to learning
- Notifies the Instructor incidents in the classroom or lab environment and provides regular reports of student progress
- Monitors laboratory safety protocols
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to mentor students in the lab setting
- Broad knowledge of Fire Sciences and the ability to handle the day-to-day operations of the Fire Sciences lab
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational diversity
- Commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Ability to manage and lead change
- Frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head; ability to lift and carry 100 pounds
- Frequent standing for long periods of time
- Have a concept of time and ability to record seconds, minutes, and hours from a watch or clock
- Ability to listen to an individual speak through a radio and be able to respond in an audible and intelligible manner
- Ability to walk and work in small spaces, various weather conditions, and various physical environments
- Tactile and visual ability sufficient for physical assessment
- Work schedule varies, Monday thru Thursday, days and evenings
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment as well as all equipment generally used in Fire Science professions
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards as well as in Fire Science labs where safety precautions must be observed at all times
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2097151 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter’s use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 3 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Level I Instructor or Fire Education Specialist Level I
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Field Examiner
- Texas Department of Health Emergency Care Attendant (ECA) or higher
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Conroe
3200 College Park Dr (0400)
3200 College Park Dr
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Montgomery - 04
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jan 24, 2019, 9:01:59 AM