Adjunct Faculty, Speech
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Lone Star College-University Park
Lone StarCollege offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career trainingeducation to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’sworkforce today and redefining the community college experience to supportstudent success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, thelargest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annualeconomic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eightcenters, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online,was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of HigherEducation. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Founded in 2010,LSC-University Park is located on a 71-acre campus that includes thecomprehensive Lone Star College campus along with Lone Star Corporate College,the LSC-Energy & Manufacturing Center, multiple university partners, acharter high school, several commercial tenants and much more creating thecollege of the future. LSC-UP’s vision is to be nationally recognized as themodel for the innovative college of the 21st century. LSC-UP’s “Invitation toInnovate” (i2i) has resulted in local, national and international awards andrecognitions, including one patent.
Campus address is20515 SH 249 (TX 249 and Louetta Road), Houston, TX 77070.
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College System accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
- Teaches Speech courses at a variety of times and locations
- Creates engaging lessons that promote student involvement and application of the material
- Submits required college reports and forms in a timely manner
- Utilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelines
- Meets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methods
- Evaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progress
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community
- Attends meetings, trainings, and orientations as required
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
- Basic computer skills
- Mastery of course content
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning
- Excellence in communication and interpersonal skills
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Hours will vary depending on class time. Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction.
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You cannot attach a file that exceeds the allocated limit of 1024 kilobytes. You can attach a maximum of 10 files at a time. The search tool recruiter’s use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration ofJob Posting:Position posted untilfilled
- Master’s in Speech or Communication with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in communication coursework unrelated to the study of mass communications (radio/television production, journalism, media criticism, broadcasting, public relations, films studies, media writing, etc.), or a Master’s degree with 18 hours in communication coursework unrelated to mass communications.
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
20515 Highway 249 - LSC University Park (0800)
20515 Highway 249
Job: Academic Affairs
Organization: LSC University Park - 08
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Job Posting: Feb 12, 2019, 6:22:50 PM