Desktop Services Consultant (Information Technology Consultant - Career)
Job Title: Desktop Services Consultant (Information Technology Consultant - Career)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 13723
Job Code: 0420 Information Technology Consultant -12
Job Grade: Career
Department: Client Services
Salary Range: $4,372 - $10,478 per month (Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,372 - $6,250 per month)
Note: This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
Note: Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community. Our department consists of a well trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Under the direction of a director, manager or the supervision of a designated Lead, the Desktop Services Consultant provides desktop computing installation, configuration, and break-fix services to faculty, staff, and students. The Desktop Services Consultant is expected to work independently and possess the experience to be fully proficient in performing most or all of the work assignments. A work assignment outside of the classification where the majority of work is performed is common and may be used to promote skill development or meet unique department needs. The employee shall allocate priority and time to the duties mentioned below based upon direction from the manager to whom this employee reports. The manager will communicate these priorities and time allocation at least annually and when necessary.
The following work activities indicate the responsibilities of this position and are separated by functional area.Major Duties: Site Administration
- Provide desktop implementation, schedule coordination, move, add, change and disposal services when requested
- Perform installation and configuration of campus standards software packages on end user machines, and provide overview of software use to end-users
- Manage and maintain list of desktop assets slated for renewal or retirement and coordinate activities with customers to initiate those actions.
- Provide planning, consulting and coordination services to upgrade desktop hardware and software configurations to newer versions
- Provide multi-year planning for technology (hardware and software) under the purview of the Desktop Services Consultant.
- Obtain and validate requests for desktop security IDs, passwords, and access profiles
- Provide second level support to the Service Desk to resolve desktop incidents or provide how-to support
- Provide request fulfillment processing for customer requests for desktops and software applications
- Provide planning, consulting and coordination services to establish move or remove desktops and printers.
- Provide technical advice and expertise in the evaluation, purchase, upgrading, and maintenance of software and/or hardware resources.
- Participate in needs assessments and evaluate potential purchases for compatibility with existing systems
- Provide and maintain standard catalog of approved desktop hardware and software configuration available for use
- Identify customer-required pre-requisites for obtaining desktop support services as well as any post requisite activities once services are delivered
- Validate the quality, relevance, and user value of the Service Desk customer facing information regarding desktop support services for customer self-service web sites
- Validate the quality, relevance, and consultant value of the Service Desk internal knowledge base regarding desktop support services including information stored as Knowledge Articles in the Service Desk solution, on Wikis, and in document repositories.
- Update and maintain configuration management databases with accurate and current information regarding configuration items or assets.
- Develop and administer data policies, procedures and standards
Secondary Duties of the job include:
- Provide training and direct supervision of IT student support staff
- Advise and assist faculty, staff, and students in the selection of available software, hardware and/or database systems, and sources to meet their needs
- Research available products and systems and recommend alternatives to meet identified needs
- Specify maintenance contracts
- Prepare requests for proposals, cost estimates, and justifications
- Provide asset and cost information to customer’s managers when requested
- Provide other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of:
- Service Management Tools for tracking Incidents, Requests, Problems, and Changes
- Operating Systems: Apple Macintosh OS 10.x and later versions, Microsoft Windows 7 and later versions. IOS and other applicable tablet operating systems
- Hardware: Intel PC systems, Apple Macintosh systems, iPad, Surface and other applicable mobile computing devices
- Desktop management tools for imaging, configuration management and policy enforcement (e.g. SCCM, JAMF, etc.).
- Applications: campus standard applications
- Connectivity and network administration for fixed wire, and wireless connections
- Data administration principles and techniques
- Copyright laws and industry standards
- Proficient use of standard campus applications, desktops, and laptops
- Strong fault isolation and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills throughout all levels of an organization and with a variety of audiences
- Strong characteristics of integrity, excellence, discretion, team-orientation, service-orientation
- Strong emotional intelligence (awareness of self, self-regulation, ability to bridge styles of others)
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills with ability to engage with different levels
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work according to procedures
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in computer science, business or related discipline preferred. Qualifying experience may be substituted for required education on a year for year basis.
- Two (2) years of experience in direct customer support related to technical services
- Four (4) years of experience in direct customer support related to technical services
- Experience within higher education sector with IT focus ITIL Foundation Certification desirable or relevant experience in ITIL environmentConcepts of Digital TransformationStrong experience in a customer-service oriented role in a fast-paced environment that is prone to change, preferably in a technology-related area and in higher educationKnowledge of:
- Microsoft Group Policy Objects and Active Directory
- Application Deployment Methods and Tools
- Scripting languages such as WSH
- Ability to perform system, database, and network maintenance tasks
Applications received by June 13, 2019 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the hiring manager and/or search committee.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$6','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$6');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$8','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$8');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: https://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083-rev-7-21-17.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Other Applicant Information
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and
culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.