Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist (Urban Entomology)
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist (Urban Entomology) Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with Experience Position Number 00001823 Work Schedule 40 hrs/week (varies) Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00 Department 111801 - Entomology and Plant Pathology Department Entomology and Plant Pathology Job City & State Raleigh, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
As part of the Land Grant University, the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology is composed of over 40 faculty that direct a diverse portfolio of programs in teaching, research and extension components. Collectively, these strengths not only serve our clientele and our science, but also provide a rich environment for graduate education and training that can be tailored to the specific career interests of the student, irrespective of whether they prefer training in the basic sciences or are preparing for a career in extension. Our education and research programs provide graduate and undergraduate students with unique hands-on learning opportunities using the latest technologies.Essential Job Duties
The Department of Entomology & Plant Pathology in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University is pleased to announce recruitment for a 12-month tenure-track Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist with formal appointments in Research (30%) and Extension (70%).
This faculty position will be expected to develop an extension and research program which addresses the biology, ecology and management of arthropod pests in and around structures in urban and rural settings. The successful candidate will become a key member of a team of scientists who conduct cutting edge research on structural and indoor pests that can impact quality of life. To contribute to this team the incumbent will develop an externally-funded extension and research program that will be responsible for disseminating practical, science based pest management information.
The official designation of this position is 70% extension and 30% research, such the primary responsibility of this position is to engage stakeholders in the pest management industry, extension educators, pesticide manufacturers, and government regulators. The NC State Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology oversees a state-supported and staffed Structural Pest Management Training and Research Facility to facilitate these responsibilities. The successful applicant will also be expected to develop an applied and/or basic research program in the management of structural and household pests.
In addition to joining the team of faculty in Urban Entomology, opportunities exist for collaboration with NC Agromedicine Institute, the Center for Human Health and the Environment, the College of Natural Resources, as well as forming partnerships with other universities, corporations, and government agencies, especially those in the Research Triangle Park and elsewhere in North Carolina and the southeast region. The incumbent is expected to mentor graduate students for both masters and doctoral degrees.
Inclusiveness and diversity are academic imperatives and thus are university goals. We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students from underrepresented groups.Other Work/Responsibilities
The ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team that includes other entomologists, regulators, industry personnel, pathologists, economists, ecologists, and food safety specialists is required. Significant opportunities exist for collaboration with faculty in Urban Entomology, NC Agromedicine Institute, Center for Human Health and the Environment, and partnerships with corporations and government agencies, especially those in the Research Triangle Park or elsewhere in North Carolina.Minimum Education/Experience
- A PhD in Entomology or field of study directly related to the position description is required.
- ABD candidates who are very close to completion of their PhD will be considered at the Instructor rank consistent with appointment terms as outlined in the Academic Tenure Policy.
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- A demonstrated record of collaborative research and scholarship, stakeholder engagement, and innovative approaches to pest management.
- A commitment to working with Urban Entomology stakeholders and developing innovative pest management approaches.
- Demonstrated expertise in a field of research that complements and extends the expertise of other faculty in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology.
- Dedication and demonstrated record of collaborative research and engagement.
- NC State University is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, research, teaching, extension, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
- Valid NC Driver’s Licence or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
While driving a vehicle is not an essential function of this position, we believe it is necessary to have a valid NC driver’s license to perform the essential functions of the job. This position will need to travel off-site on occasion, alone and must independently be able to travel from location to location without reliance on others or the advanced notice that is often required of alternative means of transportation. Due to limitations in funding, the College cannot afford the high costs that would be required in attaining the services of transportation services such as taxis or car services. Should a viable candidate be identified from the recruitment without a license, which we believe to be necessary, we will engage your office and OIED in considering potential alternative solutions that may emerge from a request for a reasonable accommodation.Special Instructions
Please upload the following documents to your application:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Research Statement
4. Extension Statement incorporating a vision for how you plan to engage with
constituents throughout the state of North Carolina (upload as “Other Document”)
5. Contact information for three references.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by date of hire, a PhD in Entomology or field of study directly related to the position description?
- * A valid driver's license is required. This license must be maintained throughout employment. Do you have a valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Other Document (1)
- Contact Information for References