DIRECTOR, RESEARCH OPERATIONS
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 40-31920 Posted Job Title DIRECTOR, RESEARCH OPERATIONS School Name Perelman School of Medicine Org DM-Gene Therapy Program Posted to the Web 05/13/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 029 Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 8am - 5pm Months 12 Position Length Contingent Upon Funding Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/Duties
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
We are currently looking to hire a Director, Research Operations to play a vital role as a steward to the day-to-day activities of the Director of GTP/ODC (DOG) and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
As the Director, Research Operations (DRO), you will foster a culture of high performance by conducting advanced, diversified, and confidential duties requiring broad and comprehensive experience, skills, and knowledge. You will represent DOG and COO to internal and external stakeholders in terms of communications; You will facilitate requests to/from DOG with supporting staff. You will contribute to discussions with DOG and COO regarding strategy and tactics especially as it relates to coordinating interactions with key stakeholders. You will contribute to the coordination of internal and external meetings with the GTP leadership team. Also, you will act as the liaison with external and internal constituencies on behalf of the leadership team, keeping them apprised of issues and action items.
The DRO will assess the administrative and project needs for the DOG and COO, formulating the plan and assigning various responsibilities to the appropriate staff; You will develop processes to ensure that the DOG is operating as efficiently as possible on a day-to-day basis, while also supporting strategic goals and initiatives. You will supervise 2 Executive Assistants, providing mentorship, guidance, sharing best practices and modeling professional behaviors. You will identify and eliminate bottlenecks in the DOG’s daily activities, allowing the team to function at optimal efficiency You will provide oversight and management of high-volume and complex meeting and travel schedules, coordinating travel arrangements, process expense forms and reconcile accounts related to travel with full responsibility and accountability for access, triage, priorities, etc.
You will also supervise and manage a team of 2 Communications/Operations staff that will be responsible for managing the work flow and providing full service editorial support (all internal and external publications, written communications, oral presentations, website and intranet, slides, and posters), coordinating participation in select scientific conferences, arranging select internal meetings, providing operational support for process improvements, and updating Director’s bibliography and PDF library.
Additionally, you will staff and/or participate in select internal/external meetings pertaining to research and research operations. You will also Brainstorm and evaluate new processes, policy improvements, and initiatives related to research operations.
This position requires strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and accuracy to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Must be a strategic thinker with excellent organization, written and verbal communications skills as well as strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member. The ability to interact with all levels of faculty, staff, donors, corporate sponsors
and prospective donors is required. General understanding of scientific research is a plus.
- Advanced degree along with 5 to 7 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to interact professionally with the principal internal investigators, as well as external academic, for-profit, and non-profit organizations
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and judgment in interacting with a wide range of constituents at varying levels of an organization including faculty, staff, donors, corporate sponsors and prospective donors is required
- Ability to work with all levels within the organization from senior management to technicians. Ability to work independently and to perform well under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and accuracy to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment required
- Must be a strategic thinker with excellent organization, written and verbal communications skills as well as strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a diverse and close-working team in a fast-paced, executive-level setting requiring initiative, strong organization, flexibility, sound judgment, and the prioritization of multiple demands
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures including phone messages, scheduling, travel arrangements and reimbursements
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- High-level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) including MS Outlook required; proficiency in Concur a plus; overall high level of computer literacy required
- Ability to query databases and use web content management systems. Experience with PubMed, EndNote, Adobe Acrobat, and Quicken with the ability to learn and apply new technologies as needed
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/45992 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter