RESEARCH SPECIALIST B, GLP QC
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 40-31707 Posted Job Title RESEARCH SPECIALIST B, GLP QC School Name Perelman School of Medicine Org DM-Gene Therapy Program Posted to the Web 04/19/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 025 Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 8:00-5:00 Months 12 Position Length Contingent Upon Funding Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/Duties
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases. Our R&D organization has a translational infrastructure that includes: technology discovery, specialized Immunology assays operating under GLP, a Vector Core/Manufacturing unit that conducts GMP comparable work, and a large nonclinical program for animal testing under GLP including large NHP and rodent vivaria.
We are currently looking Research Specialist B, to support high throughput testing efforts in our Immunology Core.
As a Research Specialist B, you independently perform assays, under GLP conditions, to determine the efficacy and safety of viral vectors. You will be required to document all of your work on batch records. You will complete assignments independently but also work in a well-defined team.
Techniques used in studies include but not limited to mammalian cell culture, PCR-based (qPCR, genome tittering) and cell-based potency (ELISA, Western Blots) assays on viral vectors, as directed by the Associate Director.
Joining GTP offers scientific professionals the unique opportunity of seeing research go from bench to bedside and discoveries that could one day lead to cures.
- B.A./B.S. in Immunology, Biology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or in adjacent field with strong scientific background and 1-3 years of post-degree bench laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required
* Must have experience with Cell Culture, Aseptic Technique, ELISA
* Experience with Immunology, animal models, virus work, lymphocyte isolation, flow cytometry, elispot preferred but not required (will be trained)
* Must be able to work in fast paced environment and manage own time effectively
* Must have the ability to follow existing protocols and document work
* Have superior organizational skills and high attention to detail
* Outstanding interpersonal interaction skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, problem recognition and solving, and organizational skills required
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/45455 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter