Universityof Colorado – School of MedicineInstructor
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals withdemonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and workingenvironment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students,faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Colorado in Denver, Colorado is seeking a full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor-Physician Assistant in the area of Sports Medicine and Joint Preservation to practice at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, Colorado and with the Department of Orthopedic Surgery Sports Medicine team at sites in Denver, Broomfield, and Boulder, Colorado. The position is not eligible for tenure. Our clinical practice is based at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, Colorado and throughout our clinical sites in Denver, Broomfield, and Boulder, Colorado. Clinical responsibilities include active participation in the continued growth of the Sports Medicine Center and Joint Preservation Program at the University of Colorado Sports Medicine division. The candidate will provide medical services in both the inpatient and outpatient environments in the clinic and operating room. The candidate will actively participate in research activities, including clinical and translational research projects.There will be no call responsibilities.
Examples of Work Performed
This is a position requiring interest in Sports Medicine and Joint Preservation Surgery. The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Assists in providing pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There may be some casting, splinting, and dressing placement required.
- Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Perform joint aspirations and injections. Will become proficient in ultrasounds guided injections and diagnostic exams.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic. Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, Physician Assistant students, and other health professional students, engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs of CU Sports Medicine including weekly academic conference, journal club, symposia.
- Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks, organizing, planning, and attending events related to CU Sports Medicine.
- Assist orthopedic surgeon in operating room setting.
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Assist in preparing and giving PowerPoint and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- May perform clinical and/or translational research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of current the Electronic Medical Record, and be an available resource to other health care providers
- Will help in coverage of athletic events at the university and high school levels.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with sports medicine/orthopedic conditions. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained over the first year.
This position works primarily Monday-Friday (but may have some weekend responsibilities including research events, educational symposia, and outreach events) and will be located primarily in greater Denver Colorado.
Opportunities for advancement are available depending on applicant interests
- State of Colorado Certified Physician Assistant; Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification
- CPR Certified
- Experience preferred, however, willing to train new graduate
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The Universityof Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment forour faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, weconduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on yourpaycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans andretirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disabilityaccommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz MedicalCampus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body,faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a cultureof inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourageapplications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and allveterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality ineducation and employment.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: May 13, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing