Help Desk Specialist
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Help Desk Specialist
Job ID 3524
Location Loop Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Provides first point of contact for assistance with all DePaul supported applications, operating systems, hardware and voice/data network services. Diagnoses customer issues to determine appropriate solution or escalation path. Performs responsibilities in a highly professional and courteous manner.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Under general direction, acts as single point of contact for customer assistance requests, received through the phone support queue, for all DePaul supported applications, operating systems, hardware, and voice/data network services.
- Utilizing over-the-phone and remote control tools, independently diagnoses customer issues to determine appropriate solution or escalation path.
- Resolves the majority of all issues on first contact.
- Provides support for all issues of basic to medium level complexity.
- Recommends system or application modifications to reduce customer problems or improve performance.
- Through peer mentoring, assists with the training of new TSC staff, and assists the rest of the TSC staff to handle customer issues when needed.
- Interacts with other Information Services areas to identify and resolve issues when escalation is needed, and assigns an appropriate Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Communicates technical issues in a language understood by the customer to ensure accurate and timely resolution.
- Acts as a resource for faculty, staff, students, and the general public with university directory information and processes requests with speed and accuracy.
- Documents customer issues in the ticketing system in a clear and detailed manner following established procedures.
- Creates and maintains documentation on the operation of DePaul applications, operating systems, hardware, and voice/data network services.
- Supports assigned projects to improve department operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- A bachelor's degree (preferably in Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot effectively, including nonstandard applications that may be in use.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to listen and ask probing questions of the user to diagnose the problem correctly is necessary.
- Able to speak in a calm, unemotional, clear manner and articulate clear instructions to the end-user.
- Maintains a high level of technical and customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of the university's structure and departments is necessary within 6 months of employment.
- Working knowledge of wired and wireless network connectivity and core enterprise-wide application functionality.
- Intermediate knowledge of PC hardware and software, and 2 or more years of experience with end-user support.
Certifications & Licenses
- Certified Help Desk Analyst certification from HDI or completion within 6 months of hire.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Advanced knowledge of all DePaul University supported Mac and Window based software applications, including Microsoft Office suite, Internet Browsers, and core enterprise applications.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
- May need to work on weekends/evenings, to cover planned schedule changes, cover unplanned gaps in the weekend schedule or if Help Desk ticket volume is inordinately high.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: