Associate Director of Major Gifts
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Associate Director of Major Gifts to work in its Development department. This position will be report to the Director of Principal and Major Gifts. The associate director of major gifts is responsible for obtaining leadership commitments at the $50,000+ level. The associate director manages the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a select group of prospects. As a development officer, the associate director travels frequently and plays a significant role in developing strategies for and ensuring the success of the college's overall fundraising program.Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of 120 active prospects in an assigned region primarily capable of making gifts at $50,000+ level. This includes all aspects of prospect management process including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Work directly with prospects and suspects in the field and at Macalester College.
- Conduct 120 personal visits annually with prospects and suspects, including approximately 25 major gift solicitations.
- Assist major gifts program with qualification of new prospects identified by research.
- Increase solicitation readiness by creating involvement opportunities for prospects. Participate in outreach events as appropriate.
- Support department by participating in regular activities including annual work plans, project-based planning, prospect review, and involvement in other initiatives across advancement division.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Actively engage in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years professional experience in development and fundraising. Experience in higher education preferred, particularly in a liberal arts environment.
- Candidates will need to demonstrate an ability and willingness to support, respect and commit to embracing diverse backgrounds, values, and points of view in order to foster an inclusive work environment.
- Understanding of and appreciation of Macalester’s mission and capacity to convey mission to donors and prospects
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively, up to 120 days annually, including occasional weekend travel.
- Working knowledge of fundraising cycle and techniques to generate outright and deferred gift support.
- Ability to evaluate research about giving prospects and translate knowledge into strategy and tactics to grow major gifts pipeline.
- Excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail with facility for managing many projects simultaneously. Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work constructively and cooperatively with other members of the development staff and other college departments.
- Ability to respectfully work with sensitive and confidential information.
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than May 26, 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately. Review of applications will begin immediately. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.