Assistant Dean for Clinical Programs - Georgetown University Law Center
Assistant Dean for Clinical Programs - Georgetown University Law Center
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Assistant Dean is a key member of Georgetown Law's nationally recognized clinical program. S/he manages the daily operations of the Clinical Programs office and staff, including a team consisting of the Director and Program Coordinator. The Assistant Dean serves as the principle contact to the clinical faculty on academic issues and is responsible for working with the faculty and Associate Dean in strategic planning and curricular support. Under the direction of the Associate Dean - and with the assistance of the Director and Program Coordinator for Clinical Programs, the Assistant Dean has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
- Regularly evaluate the available clinical offerings and clinic data in partnership with the clinical faculty and provide strategic planning advice to the Associate Dean on areas of possible improvement and/or growth.
- Ensure that clinical courses and the LLM in Advocacy (for clinic fellows) meet Georgetown Law and ABA standards.
- Monitor, update, and oversee the implementation of clinic policies for students and fellows and work with the Office of Academic Affairs and Experiential Programs to ensure that academic priorities and policies are consistent across the law school.
- Engage with and provide advice to other departments where non-clinic policies would affect clinic students, staff, and/or faculty.
- In partnership with the Office of the Dean of Students, review student requests for accommodations, modifications, and exceptions, seeking the guidance of the Associate Dean where appropriate.
- Provide academic counseling to prospective clinic students before and during the competitive clinic application period.
- Assist students with issues that arise during clinic participation, troubleshooting problems with the faculty, fellows, or Associate Dean where appropriate.
- Review student applications under the student practice rules and advise students about any Bar issues and those students not admitted to any clinic.
- Support the Director and Program Coordinator in scheduling and executing the clinic application and registration process as needed.
Faculty & Fellow Support
- Schedule and organize regular meetings among the clinical faculty in coordination with the Associate Dean.
- Collect and review teaching evaluations each semester, troubleshooting with the faculty, fellows, or Associate Dean where appropriate.
- Review clinic grades each semester, working with the Associate Dean and the faculty to ensure compliance within Law Center policies.
- Coordinate with the faculty, Office of the Registrar, and Office of Academic Affairs to ensure that seminars are scheduled correctly, designated with the right instructors, and that the enrollment and evaluation process is smooth for students and faculty alike.
- Review fellow applications and refer to Associate Dean for appointment and enrollment in the LLM in Advocacy.
- Coordinate with supervising faculty to ensure that fellows complete all LLM requirements, in partnership with the Registrar and director of the Elements of Clinical Pedagogy seminar.
- Assist the director of the Elements of Clinical Pedagogy seminar in scheduling meetings, coordinating with faculty instructors and supporting the fellows.
Budget and Administrative Management
- Manage the Clinic Administrative budget, including tracking expenses, approving transactions, and requesting corrections where needed.
- Work with the Associate Dean and individual clinic director to develop and submit proposals for the Clinic Administrative budget and the individual clinic budgets.
- Monitor individual clinic budgets and review credit card statements for clinic faculty and staff to ensure compliance with Georgetown policies and the correct allocation of expenses.
- Review grant proposals as part of the pre-submission approval process and coordinate with the Associate Dean and Financial Affairs staff where necessary.
- Support the Director and Program Coordinator, as needed, in ensuring that our clinics have the support they need from administrative departments such as Facilities, Financial Affairs, Registrar, and Student Life.
- Coordinate with the Communications and Development offices to develop and implement a strategy for fundraising and awareness of the clinical program in partnership with the Associate Dean.
- Provide information and present to outside groups, including alumni, law firms, funders, and prospective students.
- Coordinate with other law schools and Georgetown faculty about the program.
- Juris Doctorate (JD)
- 7+ years of relevant experience - preferably in teaching clinical courses in a law school setting and with managing small teams
- Demonstrated understanding of experiential and clinical education pedagogy and ABA standards
- Experience with student advising and public interest programming
- Excellent judgement, organizational skills, and attention to detail
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Law-Center/Assistant-Dean-for-Clinical-Programs---Georgetown-University-Law-Center_JR06259
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency