Steam and Power Plant II
Request/Posting Number 0712028
Classification Title Steam and Power Plant II
Working Title Stationary Fireman - 2 positions available
Job Class # 004991
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Representation: Operating Engineers Local 399
Department Building Maintenance - 09040000
Job Category Staff
General Summary Under direct supervision from Steam & Power V, IV, and III, perform skilled labor in the operation, maintenance and repair of high pressure steam boilers and mechanical equipment in the Heating Plant.
Additional Information: This position is given broad latitude to be self-directed and to use knowledge and judgment in the completion of responsibilities. Instructions may be oral or in writing. Guidance which influence decisions and actions include:
1. University Policies and Board regulations.
2. Fiscal Procedures Manual.
3. State and Federal Regulations.
4. Letters, reports and memorandum providing historical perspective.
5. Existing Bargaining of Union Contracts.
6. Past practices, such as, union jurisdictions, non-contractual labor agreements and administrative directives.
7. Academic training and accepted engineering practices.
8. Work plans and schedules.
Required Qualifications 1. One (1) year (12 months) of experience in a position comparable to the next lower level of the series.
2. Possession of current/valid licenses and certificates, as required
by the employing institution.
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
4. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Skill in the use of various tools (hammer, pliers, screwdriver)
2. Ability to read 2" gauges on various equipment.
3. Valid driver's license and ability to drive a straight shift vehicle.
4. Ability to climb ladders and work at heights greater than 50 feet.
5. Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing. Communications required in person, by telephone and over campus radio system.
6. Ability to comprehend verbal and written instructions and materials.
7. Possess mathematical skills to calculate material lists and pricing.
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees Possession of current/valid licenses and certificates, as required by the employing institution.
Hiring Rate/Range $33.57
Work Hours To be determined but may include 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift; will vary based on training and shift availability
Proposed Starting Date: June 2019
Posting date 05-13-2019
Closing date 05-28-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants For full consideration, the application and all supplemental information must be submitted on-line. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail, or mail will not be accepted.
Incomplete applications WILL NOT be considered. Please complete the entire employment application including the Education and Work History background. Please do not put "see resume" in the duties and responsibilities section of the work history. This will be considered an incomplete application and incomplete applications will not be considered. Only the employment application will be reviewed to determine if an applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Please prepare a reference list and resume including contact information (phone/email) to attach to this application.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, this offer is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Trish Trainor
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 4991- Steam & Power Plant II
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to lift 100 pounds.
2. Ability to push/pull up to 100 pounds.
3. Ability to climb, bend, crouch, kneel, and reach overhead.
4. Visual acuity to discern basic wiring and piping color codes.
5. Work in confined spaces.
6. Work in both hot and cold environments.
7. Ability to speak and hear clearly.