Sr. Paramedic Instructor (Level III)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-05-10
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.Education and Research – 78%
- Provides didactic instruction and psychomotor skills training in PEH courses to a diverse population of learners at the provider and instructor level.
- Teaches a minimum of 16 courses per term
- Administers written tests and skills performance evaluations of PEH course learners.
- Provides remedial tutoring of learners with identified deficiencies in performance of course requirements.
- Contributes to the development of objective criteria for skills performance evaluation.
- Participates in the testing and analysis of educational tools utilized in PEH courses.
- Barring a conflict of interest, participates in the planning, development and/or implementation of the Center’s annual Advance Life Support Competition.
- Maintains current knowledge of the latest evidence for the subject matters being taught.
- Participates in annual instructor update
- Contributes to the development of objective criteria for skills performance evaluation. Participates in testing and analysis of educational tools utilized in PEH courses
- Assists with the compilation of educational research data.
- Acts as liaison with identified users of Center’s course curricula, providing hands-on implementation of the Center’s Annual Advanced Life Support Competition.
- Serves as a mentor to adjunct and less experienced PEH instructors, offering guidance, feedback as appropriate.
- Evaluates and contributes to the revision, editing and updating of PEH courses, ensuring all materials meet current guidelines and standards established by appropriate agencies.
- Assist in training and preparation of standardized patients (actors) incorporated into course instruction.
- Contributes to the development or implementation of case-based scenarios that test learner knowledge and skills through simulation and utilization of standardized patients (actors).
- Serves as course coordinator for on-site courses- managing time, overseeing instructors and ensuring course goals and objectives are met.
- Manages on-site and off-site courses in state and nationally.
- Sets up and breaks down, puts away equipment, furniture, etc., as required by course.
- Assists in equipment and supply inventory maintenance.
- Contributes as a member of at least one performance improvement committee.
- Participates in efforts to recruit qualified new adjunct and PEH instructors.
- Serves as PEH Representative to Local, State and National Conferences and Meetings and participates in exhibition booths as needed.
Public Relations 2%
- Participates in GCRME presentations to a variety of community, political and medical audiences.
- Promotes positive communications about the Center and its programs within the allied health care community and contributes to the Center’s responsiveness to constituent agency educational needs.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.Minimum Qualifications (Essential Requirements):
- High School or equivalent
- Current Florida license as EMT/Paramedic
- Minimum of three years of emergency or critical care (pediatric or adult) experience.
- Current AHA Provider/Instructor certification in BLS, ACLS; additional current certification in PALS, PHTLS or PEPP preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of formalized instructional experience.
- Competent level of knowledge of course content for all disciplines to be taught, including GCRME-developed curricula.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Part timeEmployee Type:Temporary-IntermittentPay Grade:h86