Academic Coordinator- School of Humanities Program in Academic English
Academic Coordinator- School of Humanities Program in Academic English Recruitment Period Open May 10th, 2019 through Sunday, Jun 9, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) Description
The Program in Academic English invites applications for the position of Academic Coordinator. This position can be full-time, comprised of a 50% appointment as Academic Coordinator and a complementary 50% teaching appointment as Lecturer.
NOTE: Applicants who are not currently teaching in the Program should apply separately for a position as Lecturer at this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05301
Initial appointment is 1-year + 1-year renewable, and begins in the 2019-2020 academic year on 1 July 2019 and ends on 30 June 30 2020. The Academic Coordinator reports to the Director of the Program in Academic English, and the administrative duties of the position include but are not limited to working collaboratively with the Director, Associate Director, other Academic Coordinators, and Administrative Staff in order to:
• Conduct research that directly or indirectly informs curricular innovation, ideally leading to publication in peer-reviewed journals
• Participate in professional organizations and present at relevant applied linguistics and writing studies conferences
• Create and evaluate a rigorous curriculum for various courses as needed
• Develop and teach graduate level courses, including dissertation writing and writing for publication courses
• Train other lecturers and graduate student TAs
• Develop programming in collaboration with other campus units
• Contribute to the creation of, administrating, and grading of the AE Placement Exam
• Contribute to the administration of the AE Tutorial Program, including the hiring and training of work study students
• Revise, write, and archive the AE diagnostic exams
• Assist in the administration of the TOEP (Test of Oral English Proficiency)
• Intervene with struggling students to step in as a mediator in instances of conflict
The Annual salary as Academic Coordinator will be commensurate with experience within the range $56,386-$71,206. Simultaneously, the Academic Coordinator is expected to hold a Lecturer position, and should be prepared to teach any of the Program’s courses: AE 20A, B, C, D; 22A; 23A, B, C; 28; 29; 139W (http://catalogue.uci.edu/schoolofhumanities/specialprograms/#courseinventory).
Qualifications: Ph.D. (preferred) in Applied Linguistics or related fields. M.A. in Applied Linguistics, or an M.F.A. degree also considered. Degree in hand by 30 June 2019. We welcome applicants from all disciplines and expect three years of teaching experience in ESL, experience in program administration, along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of critical pedagogy, critical applied linguistics, intercultural rhetoric, EAP, ESP, ELF, WAC/WID, and/or World Englishes is a plus.
Application Procedure: Application deadline is 6 June 2019. Applicants should submit a letter of application of no more than two pages and Curriculum Vitae by way of U.C. Irvine’s online application system: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05300 to the Program in Academic English Search Committee.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents