Events Curator, Kroc School of Peace Studies
Events Curator, Kroc School of Peace Studies
Job Number: 1069
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies, Administrator
Position Title & Department:Events Curator, Kroc School of Peace Studies Posting #
The Kroc School is the nation’s first stand-alone school of peace and justice. We develop unique programs and learning experiences to prepare and support innovative changemakers and peacebuilders to address humanity’s urgent challenges involving violent conflict, injustice, inequity and oppression. The Kroc School marquee events include Peace Innovators, Women Peacemakers and the Medal of Peace events. We host renowned speakers who share frank insights and experiences along with the beacons of inspiration that fuel their brazen demand for a better world. The position is based at the beautiful University of San Diego campus. Compensation includes a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and being part of a dynamic team and rich thought leadership environment at the Kroc School.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
- Are you an innovative experience designer who specializes in bringing unexpected delight to your audiences?Do you excel in accomplishing details required to produce standing room only large scale events?Are you driven to amplify the reputation of a school/organization through an event series?
- A visual portfolio that demonstrates experience producing innovative large scale events/shows.The networks, as well as the audacity, to seek out and secure high-level speakers from a broad range of sectors, including celebrities.Demonstrated audience development skills.Experience growing an annual event series from good to great.
The Events Curator collaborates with the Dean, Faculty and staff of the Kroc School to curate a program of lectures and events including four annual high profile, marquee events. The incumbent will provide the vision needed to design innovative, memorable experiences and the event coordination expertise to successfully plan, organize and manage all marketing, production, and logistics. Work collaboratively with Kroc School faculty and staff to ideate event format and identify the best speakers and participants. Manage and implement scheduling, budgets, outreach and marketing plans, and all other aspects related to the production of events. Work closely with the School’s Marketing and Advancement team to build an audience and ensure events are amplifying their work to raise and enhance the visibility and reputation of the Kroc School locally, nationally, and globally. Supervision received from Assistant Dean of Marketing and Advancement. This position supervises Event Contractors, work-study students and volunteers.
Event Planning, Production, and Administration
- Serve as lead designer, planner and implementer for Kroc IPJ and Kroc School public facing, invite-only, and programmatic events, including four annual high profile, marquee events.
- Collaborate with the Dean, Faculty and Staff to ideate innovative event formats, identify the best speakers and participants, and design the audience experience.
- Develop planning calendar, select and schedule event location, food and beverage, decor, supplies, audiovisual and other equipment and services, photography, videography, parking for attendees, signage, etc.
- Lead speaker and participant invitations and contracts, coordinate schedule, honoraria, travel, and related logistics.
- Work with speakers and participants to create powerful, memorable events (shows & participatory experiences) including, but not limited to coaching speakers, designing presentation templates, etc.
- Manage all aspects of event budgeting.
- Ensure events are coordinated across the Kroc School and the University to maximize impact and limit conflicts.
- Serve as contact for co-sponsorship requests and opportunities.
- Coordinate and train staff, students and volunteers working at events.
- Serve as day-of event contact and be present throughout the event.
- Ensure all services required for events are delivered accordingly.
- Perform post-event follow-up such as:
- Coordinate with ITS and audiovisual technicians to obtain and post event audio recording and/or video footage to the appropriate web pages.
- Coordinate speaker and other thank you notes.
- Leverage post-event marketing and outreach opportunities.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Communications, Marketing, and Outreach
- Lead promotion and outreach efforts for Kroc School events.
- Manage audience development, invitation lists, registration platform and communications.
- Promote events and publications to a wide range of audiences using social media and Kroc School digital outreach tools.
- Liaise with USD University Communications to promote events through online and offline media.
- Work with Kroc School Marketing and Advancement team colleagues to
- develop and manage appropriate marketing lists for promotion of and to build an audience for events and publications
- to identify other opportunities to leverage events to amplify broader Kroc School marketing efforts.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A minimum of three years of experience designing and managing successful events, including the development of event series as well as individual events.
- The networks, as well as the audacity, to seek out and secure high-level speakers from a broad range of sectors, including celebrities.
- A visual portfolio that demonstrates creation and execution of “show” and/or other participatory experience events.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated project management expertise including budget management.
- Experience in the use of the Google suite, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe InDesign or other desktop publishing software, project management software (examples: Trello, Basecamp, Asana, etc), and social media tools.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating compelling visual presentations in Google Slides (and PowerPoint). Past examples will be requested and should demonstrate the ability to succinctly and beautifully represent a concept and the action plan necessary to achieve a goal.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with speakers and other event contributors to create powerful, memorable events. This will include designing the audience experience, designing presentation templates, coaching speakers, etc.
- Highly organized, motivated and detail oriented.
- Expertise in project management software and tools (candidates will be asked to share past examples of tools used)
- Ability to exercise self-initiative.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and occasionally high-pressure environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to respond to unanticipated situations and shift priorities while remaining poised and calm under pressure.
- Ability to interact appropriately with colleagues at all levels within the University, as well as high level diplomats, community leaders, corporate executives, celebrities and guests from local, national and international communities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with employees not under her/his direct supervision.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed to ensure successful events.
- Ability to foresee future needs, respond accordingly, and plan proactively.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: May 10, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time