Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type SAAO Tier I Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with credentials and experience Position Number 00001673 Work Schedule Normal business hours with additional hours as needed Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00 Department 410101 - Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration Department Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration Job City & State Raleigh, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The Office of Finance and Administration (OFA) supports the advancement of NC State’s strategic goals by ensuring the best use of available resources and fostering a culture of effectiveness, efficiency, and excellence. With the university’s core academic mission in mind, OFA and its more than 1,500 employees serve the NC State community through the development and management of the university’s physical, financial, and human resources.
The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration has strategic oversight of the seven OFA divisions, managed by a team of senior leaders responsible for delivering essential financial and administrative services to campus. These divisions include:
Budget and Resource Management: Budget Office; Cost Analysis; and Finance and Administration Analysis
Campus Enterprises (CE): Auxiliary Services, which includes Wolfpack Outfitters, Trademark Licensing, Retail Services and Lonnie Poole Golf Course; Hospitality Services, which includes Rave Catering, Vendor Services, Technology Services, StateView Hotel Liaison, Residence Dining, Retail Dining, and Facilities Operations and Maintenance; CE Marketing; CE Human Resources; CE Financial Services; and University Student Centers
Environmental Health and Public Safety: Emergency Management and Mission Continuity; Environmental Health and Safety, which includes Fire Protection, Environmental Affairs, Lab Safety and Biosafety, Radiation Safety, and Occupational Health Safety; Insurance and Risk Management; Security Applications and Technologies; Transportation; University Police; and Violence Prevention and Risk Assessment
Facilities: Capital Project Management; Facilities Services, which includes Fleet Services, Grounds Management, Housekeeping, Mail Services, Small Project Management, and Trade Shops; Facilities Budget and Accounting; Facilities; Human Resources Energy Systems, which includes Building Maintenance and Operations, Sustainability, Utilities and Engineering, and Energy Management; University Architect; and Business Systems
Finance: Cashier’s Office; Contracts and Grants; Controller’s Office, which includes Payroll; Foundations Accounting and Investments; Materials Management, which includes Materials Support, Purchasing and WolfCopy; and Strategic Debt and Financial Management
Human Resources (HR): HR Information Management and Analytics; Classification and Compensation; Talent Acquisition and Employment; Executive Search Services; Benefits, Employee Wellness and Work Life; Employee Relations; Onboarding Center; HR Continuous Improvement; and HR Communications and Marketing
Real Estate and Development
NC State, a leading public research university, is seeking an experienced and innovative leader with exceptional strategic, financial, operational and administrative skills, to serve as its next Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration. The position reports directly to the Chancellor and will serve as a member of the university’s executive leadership team.
The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration is responsible for the following:
- Overseeing the leaders of the seven OFA divisions;
- Advising the Chancellor and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost on financial and administrative affairs, including budget and resource allocations, and the Director of Athletics on athletics financial matters;
- Developing and implementing a sound and sustainable fiscal plan by stewarding financial assets, optimizing physical resources and investing in our human capital;
- Implementing initiatives to transform and promote a division culture of collaboration, transparency, innovation, entrepreneurial thinking, efficiency, effectiveness and accountability;
- Working collaboratively with other executive officers, deans, department heads, faculty, staff and students to achieve the goals and objectives of the university;
- Creating, implementing, and serving on ad hoc task forces, standing committees, and various governing boards;
- Acting as a key member of the University Space Committee, guiding resource allocations with respect to physical facilities on campus;
- Making strategic decisions with respect to the campus physical master plan and/or campus capacity plan of an exceptionally large campus that includes approximately 15.25 million square feet in more than 446 buildings on the 2,137-acre Raleigh campus;
- Making strategic decisions regarding the financing and acquisition of facilities on and off campus;
- Acting as the executive officer liaison to the Board of Trustees’ Building and Property Committee and the Audit, Risk Management and Finance Committee;
- Serving as a key decision-maker in coordinating fundraising for capital projects, along with the Vice Chancellor for University Advancement and officials of other associated entities;
- Serving as Treasurer of the NC State Investment Fund and of the NC State Endowment Fund;
- Serving in leadership roles on other university-related associated entities such as college-related foundations, other university-affiliated corporations, and local agencies and quasi-governmental bodies that interface with NC State;
- Making effective financial and administrative decisions surrounding the operations of more than 1,100 off-campus research and extension facilities including various farms, forests, marine sciences facilities, 4-H camps and research laboratories;
- Leading the decision-making process and negotiation of public/private partnerships;
- Approving key financial and administrative reports that are distributed to other governmental bodies and/or the public;
- Approving large financial transactions consistent with the authority delegated to the Vice Chancellor;
- Assuring operational compliance with federal and state regulations as well as UNC System and NC State University requirements in key areas of finance and administration;
- Representing NC State in UNC System, city, county, state, or federal governmental meetings dealing with financial and administrative affairs;
- Making strategic decisions and providing advice regarding: human resources and talent management on campus; stewardship, maintenance and investment of short and long term financial assets; and enterprise operations that include dining and bookstores;
- Maintaining open, informational and advisory communications with the Internal Audit Director and interacting collaboratively with him/her, in conjunction with the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, to ensure proactive identification and addressing of risks, a strong internal control and compliance environment, and effectiveness and efficiency in operational processes;
- Serving as a key NC State representative in transportation affairs and interfacing with local/regional authorities on issues including transit planning, neighborhood partnerships and emergency coordination;
- Making key strategic decisions that help to ensure campus safety;
Other duties and projects assigned by the Chancellor.Minimum Education/Experience
A relevant Master’s or Bachelor’s degree and significant experience in finance and business administration.Departmental Required Skills
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
The successful candidate will possess many of the following attributes:
- An advanced degree in business administration, public administration or other relevant field. In lieu of an advanced degree, candidates must possess a relevant bachelor’s degree and extensive experience in a comparable position at institution(s) of similar size and scope;
- Significant experience as a proven senior executive in a higher education, foundation, government or business organization of relevant size and complexity;
- Must be a visionary, highly collaborative leader with a service and solutions-focused mindset, and an entrepreneurial orientation;
- Ability to function in a complex, high-demand environment, managing multiple priorities simultaneously and accustomed to setting and achieving goals;
- Ability to provide critical, conceptual and strategic thinking to important financial, academic and administrative issues across the university;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to cultivate strong team collaboration among diverse groups and to maintain positive relationships with administrative and academic colleagues;
- Proven record of achieving institutional cost savings in a decisive, yet collaborative and professional manner;
- In-depth understanding of the political, social and economic factors shaping the future of higher education, and the political skill to develop strong partnerships with local, state and federal legislative and regulatory agencies in ways that build trust and promote mutual benefit;
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal, presentation and listening capabilities;
- Ability to crystallize complex financial information into lay terms and to effectively articulate the university’s financial vision, strengths, goals and requirements to a wide range of audiences, both internal and external;
- Familiarity with major construction, renovation and maintenance programs; understanding of facilities management, real estate development, campus master planning, and space planning. Familiarity with sustainability practices, including recycling, LEED construction, and energy conservation;
- Record of significant leadership and accomplishment in human resources and planning, managing and implementing major business and financial systems, and knowledge of trends in enterprise resource planning and management;
- Demonstrated excellence in leading operational best practices, spearheading efficiency initiatives, and exhibiting problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to embracing and enhancing diversity, affirmative action, and equal opportunity; and
- Strong proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office, with working knowledge of computerized financial systems, including web-based information technologies.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited and may be directed to Justin Lang, director, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 513-1963 or [email protected]
Confidential review of applications will begin in May, and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a resume or curriculum vitae, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. These materials may be submitted online at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/ (position #00001673).Job Open Date 05/09/2019 Anticipated Closing Date Open Until Filled Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References