Supervisor of University Union Operations
Request/Posting Number 0712022
Classification Title Supervisor of University Union Operations
Working Title Supervisor of University Union Operations
Job Class # 3840
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Department Dept of Event Mgmt, Dining & Hosp - 02650000
Job Category Staff
General Summary The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is one of 12 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high-quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
This position supervises and participates in the execution of all events in the Bone Student Center, Braden Auditorium and the Bowling and Billiard Center including room set up, building cleanliness, event security and crowd control.
Whether it's to find a place to study, gather with friends, enjoy a bite to eat, or plan a large event, the Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality takes great pride in providing welcoming and inclusive spaces, high-quality food services, and experienced and professional staff who care about making every experience individualized and extraordinary. It is our philosophy to recruit, inspire, and retain talented team members and promote wellness and foster their development. It is our goal to promote a more fully diverse and inclusive campus community.
Required Qualifications 1. One year of experience in the operation of a housing and conference unit.
2. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
3. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Desired Qualifications: 1. High School degree or equivalent.
2. Two or more years of experience in supervision, building maintenance, event set ups, housekeeping operations, venue safety and security, or any appropriate combination of these.
3. Ability to organize, prioritize, multi-task, supervise and administer.
4. Familiarity with management practices in a business enterprise or higher education.
5. Resourcefulness in meeting a variety of challenges in customer service, employee training, project management and efficient management of a service institution.
Hiring Rate/Range $16.70 - $21.71 per hour
Work Hours Shift and days off will vary
Proposed Starting Date: June 2019
Posting date 05-09-2019
Closing date 06-05-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please prepare in advance a resume, cover letter and at least 3 professional references with phone numbers.
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
You may print a copy of your application or resume and bring it to the examination with you as a reference. In order to receive the maximum eligible points for the civil service exam, you may upload a food service certificate under the optional documents, if applicable. If applicable, DD214 may be sent to Jill Smith by fax to 309-438-0011, or sent to Human Resources, Campus Box 1300 Normal, IL 61790-1300.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Jill Smith
Departmental Homepage www.emdh.ilstu.edu
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 3840-Supervisor of University Union Operations
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Manual dexterity for the moving of heavy equipment.
2. The ability to lift and carry at least 75 lbs.
3. The ability to remain on foot for long periods of time (over one hour).
4. Ability to to walk for long distances moving from room to room to oversee the delivery of services to meeting rooms.
5. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
6. Ability to maintain a high level of concentration.