Research Program Manager, Appalachian Prosperity Project
Job location: College at Wise (Wise, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-12
Project Managers oversee a variety of projects, serving as the primary client contact for each project, and are responsible for each project's success. They have significant project experience, and are able to operate independently, with little supervision. They supervise project staff, and typically lead teams over whom they exercise no formal supervision.
Overview: The position will build the capacity of the Appalachian Prosperity Project, including the Healthy Appalachia Institute to create meaningful, high-impact research projects in collaboration with faculty and resources at the University of Virginia. The position will connect UVa and UVa-Wise faculty with community partners to work on community-driven projects. This position is currently funded through June 2020, with the possibility of continuation of funding.
Core duties: A major portion of the Research Program Manager’s (RPM) time (50%) will be dedicated to grant capture. This includes identification of grant opportunities, assemblage of proposal team, and development of proposal to include grant writing and submission. Once a grant is awarded, the RPM will help set up and launch the grant until implementation and/or management team is assembled. The RPM will assess project readiness and conduct quality control during this time to mitigate any initial issues that could hinder success.
The position will also build and sustain meaningful relationships with partners and stakeholders.
Support of strategic goals:
- Enhance the research infrastructure for UVa and UVa-Wise to support more community-driven projects.
- Expand the research portfolio in Southwest Virginia and offer UVA-Wise faculty the opportunity to pursue their research passions.
- Deliver additional public health resources to the citizens of Southwest Virginia.
- Support objectives for the College at Wise including the growth of public health, entrepreneurial and economic development resources and programs.
- Support objectives to strengthen and leverage the partnership between UVA and UVA-Wise.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVa-Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience with grant identification, writing, and administration.
- Experience in a client-facing environment.
- Knowledge of the Southwest Virginia area and its people and culture or an interest in cultural competency training.
- Undergraduate degree.
- Understanding of and interest in building healthy communities which includes economic development, population health, and behavioral health with experience in developing, managing, or coordinating public health or health-related programs.
- Master’s in Public Health.
- PMP Certification.
- Experience working with funding agencies.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.