Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-05-09
The position of Business Manager at the University Press is responsible for forecasting and reporting on the financial operations of the Press. The Business Manager works with the director, the operations director, and department heads to create and follow annual accrual and cash operating budgets of approximately $2.75M, and serves as the principal financial liaison to university fiscal administration.
The Business Manager will work closely with the Associate Vice Provost for Budget and Financial Planning and the Office of Sponsored Programs. This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field plus five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general ledger systems, budgeting, and financial reporting essential. Proficiency in MSWord, Excel, Outlook, and databases, preferably Filemaker, needed. Experience in publishing and financial accounting and a background in strategic financial analysis and new business planning is highly desired. Experience in university budget administration and grants accounting a plus, as well as a demonstrated ability to manage for deadlines and working timetables.
- completing a monthly operating statement of income and expenses and cash flow projections;
- attending University-wide fiscal manager meetings and reporting on important developments;
- conducting financial analysis of operating results and providing financial reports to Director and department heads as requested;
- reporting on all financial transactions including payables and receivables and reconciling Press accounts to the University’s Oracle accounting system;
- monitoring distribution of Press endowment funds and gifts, grants, awards, and subventions from federal agencies, private foundations, and other entities;
- entering new author contracts into the royalty system maintained by external fulfillment vendor, Longleaf Services, and processing annual royalty statements for authors;
- developing and maintaining internal controls to assure adherence to university fiscal policies and procedures;
- preparing Association of University Presses financial reports;
- arranging payment for print-on-demand, courier, and other vendors;
- assisting Director with creation and updating of a Multi-year Financial Plan;
- and working with University Facilities Management to maintain the Press’s physical home at Bemiss House.
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field plus five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general ledger systems, budgeting, and financial reporting is required.
Proficiency in MSWord, Excel, Outlook, and databases, preferably Filemaker is required.
Experience in publishing and financial accounting and a background in strategic financial analysis and new business planning is preferred.
Experience in university budget administration and grants accounting is preferred.
This position will remain open until filled. This is a restricted position and continuation is based on performance and funding. For questions about the application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, [email protected].
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for R0005739. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, complete the application and attach a cover letter.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.