(Part-time) Extended Education Secretary (Tehama Campus)
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform a variety of clerical, secretarial, record keeping, and other office support tasks involved in the processing, maintenance, and coordination of an Extended Education site and related program activities, operations, and requirements. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this classification may direct and oversee the work of students or other part-time help. This job class exercises responsibility for coordination the registration of students in Extended Education programs to include fee collection activities and provides logistical assistance to students and instructors participating in Extended Education programs. This job class functions at a journey level of classification and requires the successful coordination of a variety of tasks and details from the initiation of a relevant procedure to its completion.
SUPERVISOR Associate Dean of Student Services (Tehama) or designee
CLASSIFICATION Range 25 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 24 hours per week, 3:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 12 months per year. An additional 4 hours per week on Fridays may be occasionally available based on department need.
BENEFITS Holiday, vacation and sick time. No medical, dental or vision insurance provided. For more information regarding Employment and Vacation Policies, please view the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Provides a wide variety of clerical, secretarial, and office functions in support of Extended Education program activities and operations to include typing, filing, record keeping, and the processing of required forms and documents.
- Registers students for Extended Education programs in conjunction with established Admissions and Records Office procedures and requirements.
- Collect and accounts for registration and materials fees.
- Assists the Admissions and Records Office in records collection and distribution activities as requested.
- Maintains records of monies as directed by the office of Business Services and makes regular bank deposits.
- Distributes, collects, tallies, and forwards student and community surveys of curriculum needs to the Extended Education Office in cooperation with the Director of Extended Education Site.
- Arranges for and attends meetings and take minutes as required.
- Provides secretarial and clerical support related to special programs such as the Alternate Learning Systems, High School Subjects lab, Senior Programs, Community Services Programs, and other designated areas.
- Assists the Director of Extended Education Site with an effective publicity program for Extended Education programs and related activities.
- Maintains a list of substitute instructors in cooperation with the Extended Education Office and Director of Extended Education Site and provide for substitute instructor assignments as the need arises.
- Assists the Director of Extended Education Site in maintaining a liaison with high school and property managers/coordinators whenever Shasta College is utilizing their facilities, and coordinates activities between Centers whenever needed.
- Provides instructors with logistical services in cooperation with the high school's designated contact person.
- Assists with facility problems and supply needs; provides instructors with typing and duplicating services; and coordinates audio-visual equipment and its usage.
- In cooperation with Extended Education Office and Director of Extended Education Site, facilitate ancillary on-campus agencies such as: Media Center, Library, Student Personnel Services, Counseling Center, Business Service, Bookstore, Transportation Department, Division Directors, Work Experience, and Veterans Office.
- Assists in developing calendar schedules and coordinating staff to meet institutional/program deadlines.
- Assists the Director of Extended Education Site on matters relating to Shasta College's Extended Education programs.
- Compiles class enrollment lists and contact students whenever possible when class are cancelled.
- Notifies custodian of class changes.
- Supervises work activities of part-time clerical or student assistant(s).
- Prepares communications or handouts for instructors and students on rules and policies of Shasta College.
- Assists the Director of Extended Education Site in assigning rooms and filing of necessary facility use forms with schools and other agencies as necessary; notifies Extended Education Office of any changes, deletions, or additions.
- Compiles various information and prepares a variety of reports related to assigned Extended Education functions.
- Performs other related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Proper office methods, techniques, and procedures including receptionist and telephone techniques, report writing and filing systems
- Proper Business English including grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary
- Learn the operations, procedures, policies, and requirements of assigned program(s) and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations
- Take non verbatim notes-minutes
- Perform a variety of secretarial/clerical with speed and accuracy
- Understand and carry out a variety of oral and written instructions independently
- Perform arithmetical calculations accurately
- Establish and maintain a variety of records and prepare routine reports
- Prioritize work load or tasks to meet established deadlines
- Type accurately at 50 words per minute
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment such as calculator, typewriter, copier, computer terminal, printer
- Communicate effectively and tactfully in both oral and written form
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
- Associate of Arts Degree or equivalent is preferred. Responsible secretarial experience may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
- At least two years of responsible secretarial experience is preferred. College training in secretarial subjects may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
- Typing certificate reflecting a minimum of 50 net wpm, with your name clearly stated, taken within the last year (online typing certificates, such as www.freetypinggame.net, will be accepted)
Online Application with Additional Preferred Materials to be attached to application:
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- Interviews are held on campus. No Skype or Phone Interviews.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.