Bard College at Simon's RockWriter (Full-Time)Are you a gifted storyteller with the ability to write expressive, persuasive, and concise copy? Bard College at Simon’s Rock seeks a creative and efficient writer to join the Marketing and Communications department.
The writer reports to the marketing and editorial manager and plays a key role on the team, which is collectively responsible for creating a variety of external communications including advertising and marketing materials, website and social media content, program descriptions, student and alumni profiles, publicity, and magazine feature articles to promote academic programs, campus life, and fundraising. The writer should be adept at writing news stories and human interest features as well as compelling copy for advertisements and brochures. The Marketing and Communications department is a collaborative environment and the writer will contribute to projects across medium. Experience with digital media is a plus.
At Bard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy, age doesn't define intellect. Young scholars take on meaningful, serious academic challenges. Simon’s Rock strives to cultivate and maintain a welcoming environment of equity and inclusion. As a team member, you’ll be contributing to a unique and important learning environment where students start college early.
- Conceive, write, and edit a variety of materials for a variety of mediums
- Write human-interest features and timely news pieces
- Create concise, compelling copy for marketing and advertising
- Collaborate with stakeholders, conduct interviews, and research stories
- Copy edit, fact-check, and proofread, ensuring consistency and accuracy
- Collaborate on the institution’s social media, including pitching story ideas, writing copy, and creating content
- Ability to craft stories that speak to the hearts and minds of a unique audience and motivate them to act
- Ability to communicate the school’s brand and messaging points in marketing pieces with eloquence and impact
- Comfort with writing for a variety of media and audiences and the ability to adapt academic writing to appeal to a broad audience
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Command of language and vocabulary
- Comfort with receiving and interpreting feedback from multiple sources
- Interest in the unique educational model and mission of Simon’s Rock
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a major that involved substantial writing
- At least two years of writing experience, preferably in higher education or an independent secondary school
- Experience writing for enrollment marketing and fundraising
- Experience with social media
- Photography and video production skills, ability to identify and execute on ways that photography and video can enhance and complement text
- Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience writing for and about diverse people
Located in Great Barrington, MA, Bard College at Simon’s Rock is the country’s only residential college of the liberal arts and sciences specifically designed to provide highly motivated students with the opportunity to begin college after the 10th or 11th grade. At Simon’s Rock, students choose: transfer after two years with an A.A. degree that is highly respected by some of the most prestigious colleges and universities or stay for four years to complete a B.A. in a remarkably individualized program.
Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock is the nation’s only two-year high school that provides guaranteed admission to early college after 10th grade to one of the most respected academic institutions in the U.S., Bard College at Simon’s Rock. We haven’t condensed high school; instead, we’ve created a program that takes a collegiate approach to learning. Unlike many high schools, at Bard Academy, asking questions is not a distraction, but a welcome starting point for intellectual discovery in a truly academic, inclusive, and supportive community.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from candidates of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and socioeconomic levels. Please send cover letter, résumé, writing samples/case studies and contact information for at least three references to [email protected] (please include “Full-Time Writer” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. The review process begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.