DIRECTOR, STUDENT DISABILITY SERVICES
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 85-31935 Posted Job Title DIRECTOR, STUDENT DISABILITY SERVICES School Name Student Services Org Weingarten Learning Resource Center Posted to the Web 05/07/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 028 Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 9 to 5 Months 12 Position Length Ongoing Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
Division of the Vice Provost for University Life (VPUL) is Penn’s foremost provider of student services and educational access. VPUL partners and collaborates with diverse organizations across many dimensions including: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, historical tradition, age, religion, disabilities, veteran status, interests, perspectives and socioeconomic backgrounds. We enhance the ability of nearly 25,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, along with other community participants. University Life programs provide academic and career support, campus and community engagement, health and wellness programs, and much more. Our efforts help to fulfill Penn’s strategic vision of integrating knowledge across campus. VPUL is part of the Office of the Provost and includes 32 campus departments. http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/Duties
The Director, Student Disability Services, within the Wiengarten Learning Resources Center, is responsible for the overall management and administration of the office including support services that will maximize students’ academic and personal success.
This position is responsible for leading the provision of services for students with disabilities in the form of accommodations, compliance, and case management. The director manages and works directly with staff, faculty, and other colleagues to accommodate student disability needs in compliance with University policy and the Americans with Disabilities Act (and other relevant statutes) including, but not limited to, registering students presenting with disabilities, evaluating documentation, recommending further testing, identifying appropriate reasonable accommodations and academic adjustments, referring students for support, and developing appropriate compensatory strategies and therapeutic interventions. The director works collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff, and students in actualizing student disability services’ mission of promoting student access, retention, and graduation. In addition, the director has oversight for the execution and stewardship of all budgets and gifts associated with the office of Student Disability Services.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 to 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience working with students in a university setting
- Prior experience managing professional staff
- Demonstrated history of successfully managing professional staff members in a collaborative and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrated history of creative and adaptable thinking in a dynamic professional environment.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective professional relationships and successfully collaborating with others
- Advanced degree in appropriate field of study (including, but not limited to, educational psychology, higher education
- Knowledge of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), and the Family Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Expertise and experience in the collection and use of data essential for legal compliance and assessing outcomes, and the
distribution of information and reports both internally and externally to the organization.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/46017 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter