This position is a field supervisor who will be responsible for patrol officers and security officers. The Police Lieutenant is certified by the State of Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) council to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls. The Lieutenant provides an enterprise wide, cross-divisional approach to the management of facilities and assets in response to emergencies and risk management.MAJOR DUTIES
1.Conducts annual emergency prepared drills, monthly Active Shooter drills, classroom training.
2 . Monitors and keeps the Captain informed on all activities and incidents on campus.
3.Inspects all patrol cars, security booths and role call.
4.Conducts drills in all buildings every three months.
5.Supervises all 4 shifts to ensure incident reports are completed.
6.Supervises shifts when supervisor is out.
7.Coordinates and assist in training for emergency preparedness and assist the residential hall mangers for training.
8.Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
1.Knowledge of safety for all equipment.
2.Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
3.Experience in SWAT Training
4.Engagement Skills with public sector
5.Experience in managing officers in shift work
7.Report writing skills
8.Skilled in Arrest warrants and Search warrants
9.Skilled in investigation and sexual assault cases.
10.Knowledge of supervisory and leadership principles and practices.
11.Ability to analyze data and make decisions.
12.Ability to operate a radio, telephone, and related communications equipment.
13.Ability to supervise and train.
14.Ability to recognize and resolve organizational conflict.
15.Ability to develop and maintain strong communication and interpersonal skills.
16.Hear and understand conversation in a normal tone of voice. Use of senses to include sight, smell, hearing and touch.
17. Maintain the ability to complete the job tasks of Lieutenant, Sergeant or Police Officer.
18.Work hours from 3 to 11pm or as needed by the Chief of Police.
The Captain of Police assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.GUIDELINES
Guidelines include the FVSU employee handbook. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied training and emergency safety duties. The number of people and the work location contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to safeguard the University community and facilities. Success in this position helps ensure the safety of the University as a whole. This position will also help to develop officers in their role as a patrol officer.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, law enforcement personnel, emergency service providers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services and to give or exchange information.
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table and intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is performed in an office, outside, in dorms, and buildings. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts.
- Operate motor vehicles, auto, truck or van.
This position supervises departmental personnel at assigned university events. Plans, organizes, directs, and controls the efforts of squads, sections or units within their assigned department.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates degree or equivalent experience.
- General Instructor or the ability to obtain a General Instructor Certification from Georgia P.O.S.T.
- More than three years of related supervisory experience required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
- Georgia P.O.S.T certified