Support Professional - Student Financials Specialist
Job Title: Support Professional - Student Financials Specialist
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 970
External Posting: Open to any qualified candidate.
The GRCC Cashier’s Office is responsible for all College cash and the billing and collection of over $55 million in tuition and fees annually. The Student Financials Specialist is responsible for the administration and processing of all Financial Aid and Tuition Refunds to the students. This position is also responsible for outside scholarships, liaison with Nelnet Fact Payment program, billing past due outstanding tuition balances and providing exceptional customer service.Essential Job Functions
- GRCC liaison with Nelnet (FACTS payment plan)Coordinate the publication and communication of the tuition payment plan to students and staff.Verify accuracy of the student FACTS applications and contact students to reconcile errors. Adjust student accounts and apply service indicators as needed due to FACTS participation.Work with students who default on their FACTS contracts.Complete the batch refunds process, coordinate with Bank Mobile to disburse refunds to students according to their selected preference in a timely manner and maintain necessary records.Receive payments from third parties for outstanding scholarships, post payments to student accounts, monitor enrollment and return monies if not used.Provide exceptional customer service when assisting students on the phone and in person with all areas of student finance.Serve as back up to Student Financial Customer Assistants.Receive student payments, post to the appropriate student accounts and prepare receipts.Receive and process Alternative Loans received from Financial Aid. Disbursing funds to the students account or directly to the student.Bill past due tuition accounts. This includes billing, recording communications in PeopleSoft as well as adding appropriate Service Indicators.Maintain and balance individual cash drawer. Run daily cash report, balance tender to report, reconcile discrepancies and deliver to Head Cashier.Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Cashier’s Office.
Marginal (Non-essential) Job Functions
- Cross training on other main processes of the Cashier’s Office.
- Associate’s degree required (preferably Accounting) or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.Bachelor’s degree preferred.National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred but not required.
- Minimum three years or more experience in accounting.Minimum three years or more customer service experience (preferably in higher education setting)
- Exceptional math skills.Accuracy with figures and clerical tasks.Accurate use of ten key calculator.Must maintain a high level of ethics in dealing with large amounts of money.Must use good and independent judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations. Must maintain highest level of confidentiality.Ability to prioritize and complete tasks independently and in a timely manner; must be able to multi-task and have a strong attention to detail.Must enjoy working with the public and possess good oral and written communication skills: ability to manage high volume of service requests via phone and in person promptly, courteously and professionally.Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and respect diverse populations.Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team. Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office (MS word and Excel); Campus Wide Information System (CWIS), GMAIL and Image Now preferred.Must be able to use multifunctional printer/copier/scanner devices.Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.Must work well with internal and external customers and client groups.Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.Ability to sit/stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be a quick learner.Aptitude for numbers and detail work.Ability to work under pressure. Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regards to interruptions and ability to handle high pressure situations.Must use good judgment in handling sensitive, confidential or difficult situations.Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record. Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities and be able to exert initiative and resourcefulness.Ability to work independently , as well as cooperatively, with teamsAbility to learn to use scanner and scanner software quicklyAbility to hold information in strict confidence.Must take initiative and be able to accomplish tasks with minimum supervision.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team in a multi-person and high volume customer service department with many interruptions.Ability to work in a noisy environment.Ability to work flexible hours as needed.Must be able and willing to work some evenings and/or weekends as may be necessary to support the office.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.