Virginia Institute of Marine Science is seeking a qualified Construction Manager/Project Inspector for implementation of a new construction Capital Project on the Eastern Shore campus of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science. This position is restricted to a 24 month appointment.
Construction Manager/Project Inspector core responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Performs all systems, building envelope, and E&S/SW inspections on assigned projects for conformance with contract documents and approved shop drawings.
- Coordinates with site superintendents that all inspections are performed in a timely manner. Facilitates inspections with the agencies building code officials office for code compliance in a timely manner.
- Assists project managers with review of contractors invoices and change order proposals against contract documents. Participates in all building systems commissioning.
- Maintains accurate and compliant reports for the Dept.’s E&S inspection program. Attends and participates in OAC meetings. Maintains daily communications with project managers relating to construction activities, schedule impacts, and potential cost implications.
- Assumes project management responsibilities when assigned project manager is not available and as needed for small projects related to the active project that requires detailed expertise for management, rapid implementation and/or detailed customer coordination during execution.
Degree in Architecture or Engineering from an accredited College/University and/or demonstrated experience in Project Inspections/Clerk of the Works.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Architectural/Engineering principles, construction management, building construction techniques, and contract administration.
- In-depth knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) and other codes, standards, incorporated by reference including the accessibility act (ADA) and the Virginia Safety and Occupational Health and Safety act (VOSHA) standards.
- Proven ability and skills to develop, inspect, and validate work schedules and cost estimates.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated ability to perform inspections of work in place ensuring conformance, quality, and code compliance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work with a variety of constituencies.
- Experience in planning, prioritizing, delegating and supervising technical or contracted work.
- Experience in reading, understanding, interpreting and enforcing construction documents.
- Progressive experience in the management and/or supervision of new construction and renovation projects.
- Registration as an Architect or Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- DHCD Inspection Certification
- Working knowledge and experience with the Commonwealth of Virginia Capital Outlay design and construction procedures as indicated in the Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM).
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical construction trades.
- Basic proficiency in computer applications particularly MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), CAD, BIM, and construction management software
Progressive experience in project inspection/ Clerk of the Works responsibilities for major construction.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.