Accounts Payable Clerk
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: May 7, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Manager of Accounts Payable
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Accounts Payable, provide exceptional service to the campus community in the processing of all accounts payable disbursements, from data entry to check production or direct deposit transmission. Assist and guide the campus community regarding policies, procedures and coding. Coordinate with others to achieve College, business office and team goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Review disbursement documents submitted for approval signature/s, account coding, appropriate sales tax, IRS reimbursement compliance, and College policy compliance.
- Perform data entry of all invoices, check request, reimbursement requests, and check advances accurately and within scheduled deadlines.
- Process and review electronically submitted approved expense reports using Concur.
- Assist with check runs and direct deposits within deadlines.
- Coordinate the sorting of checks and invoices, ensure checks are mailed.
- Oversee the filing of matched check stubs and supporting documentation in vendor payment files by student employees.
- Review disbursement documents for compliance to college policies and sales and use tax compliance.
- Review petty cash box reimbursements, ensuring all receipts and amounts are matched and submitted.
- Keep hard copy files of all vendor payments following the College Document Retention and Destruction Policy.
- Respond daily to internal and external customer inquiries by phone, mail, electronic mail and in person.
- Answer vendor inquiries regarding payment status, contact vendors regarding W-9 collection and perform research as needed.
- Assist with disbursement of payroll checks and accounts payable checks held for pick.
- Assist in the research and investigation of returned checks for accounts payable or student refunds.
- Send emails out when accounts payable checks are ready for pick up to individuals or departments.
- Assist with year end audit and moving old accounting records to the basement.
- Assist employees across campus in their use of Concur to process procurement card and out-of-pocket expense reimbursements.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend year-end reporting seminar or other seminars as needed to keep up to date on regulations.
- Assist in coordination of student staffing, scheduling and training
- Assist with the implementation, testing and maintenance of Banner finance. Work closely with ITS personnel when necessary to explore new Banner functions or to resolve complications.
- Use judgment in communicating issues to supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform extremely detailed tasks and organize heavy workload while meeting deadlines.
- Knowledge of accounting methods, procedures, IRS 1099 reporting requirements and record keeping related to accounts payable.
- Ability to use ERP systems, Microsoft Office and 10-key.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to interact effectively with a variety of diverse constituents.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and reconciliations.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style, and ability to effectively manage shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated analytical ability for organizing data and problem solving skills.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Follow safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
Education and Training:
- Prefer A.A. degree in Accounting or related field or the equivalent of two to three years experience in a position with comparable responsibilities in accounting.
- Proficiency in the use of computerized accounting systems, integrated computer systems, Microsoft Office, and Internet applications in a Windows environment. Experience with Banner a plus, but not required.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required for over 75% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, 10-key calculator, phone, and similar machines.
Weekly deadlines associated with this position and upset or difficult customers could cause stress. Multitasking while providing customer services is required for this position. Work takes place in an office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is typical of most office environments with telephones, interruptions, and background noises.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.