Cook - Butler Wilson
We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything. The Cook will prepare the food requirements of the daily menu with concern for quality, appeal, presentation, cleanliness, safety, and cost. Responsible for maintaining the kitchen in a clean, safe, and orderly fashion.
Cook - Butler Wilson
Job ID: 2019-10165
# of Openings: 1
Category: Food Services and Dining
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we’d love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
- Responsible for the preparation and presentation of a full variety of foods for the menu, including soups, sauces, casseroles, stir frys, meats, cold foods, and vegetables. Adheres to standardized recipes; established portion sizes; and quality, taste, and presentation standards as set forth by the Department of Dining ServiceAssists in the ongoing training of kitchen personnel.Maintains the kitchen, kitchen equipment, and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Corrects or reports any safety and sanitation hazards.Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go.” Assists in the daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties.Maintains the storage areas, utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing an FIFO (first in/First out) policy for all foodstuffs.Is familiar with all food preparation procedures including the regular use of standardized recipes, batch cooking, portion control charts, production sheets, and service summary reports.Maintains and enforces the established energy conservation techniques and guidelines.Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Department of Dining Services and Princeton University.Assists with production, service, and clean up of special functions on and off campus.Performs other tasks as directed by University management.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions, and execute recipes.High School Diploma.Prior dependable work record.
- This is a 26 pay 100% duty time cook position.
- Flexibility, late nights, early mornings, weekends, holidays and work outside the unit is required.
- The schedule may be changed due to business needs.
- stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day; sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day, except for cashiers and card checkers who may sit for 2 – 4 hours at one time for a total of 4 – 6 hours per day; drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time; lift or carry up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead frequently (34 – 66% of the workday); lift or carry up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height occasionally (less than 33% of the workday); push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday); use arms and hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 5 pounds continuously (67 – 100% of the workday) and up to 30 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday); bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day); work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc); possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
- Two or more years as a cook or the equivalent in the food service industry. Must be an accomplished cook and have a basic knowledge of food and supply systems.
- Knowledge of New Jersey State Health Department rules and regulations.
- Must be a neat worker, alert and dependable. Must have the ability to coordinate tasks to meet production deadlines. Good interpersonal skills with ability to take direction and work with others. Knowledge of and experience with the use and maintenance requirements for kitchen equipment including charboilers, steam jackets, kettles, pressure steamers, ovens, broilers, woks, grills, slicers, choppers, mixers, and various hand tools. Must have knowledge of food preparation for a full range of entrees, sauces, soups and accompaniments; and knowledge of food cooking processes, e.g., grilling, frying, roasting, broiling, steaming, etc. (in an institutional environment preferred). Skill in presenting and garnishing food.