Student Affairs Manager
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: College of Business (including Hospitality as well as Real Estate); College of Engineering and Computer Science; and College of Health Sciences. The VinUniversity will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in the Ukraine in 1993 by several Vietnamese living there at the time. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became the Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and the largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial manager with a record of excellence in education and university administration. The candidate should have strong experience in the management of a newly established, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the Student Affairs Manager at VinUniversity.
The Student Affairs Manager will be responsible for the oversight of student retention and for the development of positive outcomes regarding student satisfaction. The Student Affairs Manager will partner with other areas within the University and coordinate specific programs that will support student learning and assist students with both academic and personal issues. The Student Affairs Manager will oversee the Student Affairs Team and will provide a one-stop shop for Student Services for all student populations, including:
- Student Life Activities: Student Union, Conference Services, Office of Student Orientation and Engagement, Extra-curricular involvement, Leadership Development, Student Organizations, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Intramural and Recreational Sports, Residence Life
- Student Personal Support Office: Student Conduct, Behavioral Intervention
- Student Academic Support Services: Career Counseling, Internal and External Internship Coordination, Career Fairs, Student and alumni Job Placement, Counseling and Testing, Emergency Psychological Services
- Manage the fiscal planning and management of Student Affairs, including operations and staffing matters. Provide training as needed as well as staff evaluations, professional development, and related personnel matters to ensure that the Student Affairs Team consistently contributes to an exceptional student experience that promotes academic success and well-being.
- Manage the development of short-range and long-range operating plans, including program services and budgets. Work with the staff of the Colleges and the University to set development priorities for the Student Affairs team.
- Partner with the Deans and University leaders to provide leadership for a student culture that celebrates diversity and encourages an inclusive and respectful campus climate.
- Advise students on the parameters of University and College policies; identify and evaluate options to resolve issues and challenges; and serve as a resource for students with disabilities. Provide guidance to students. Maintain confidentiality during discussions with students, faculty, police, and health professionals.
- Collaborate with the Provost and with members of the office teams of the various Deans in creating and coordinating an emergency management and readiness process, especially as it relates to current students. Manage student crisis management.
- Work with the College of Health Sciences and other appropriate partners on relevant services, issues, and protocols regarding student mental health.
- Work with the Deans to provide guidance and support to students regarding the grievance process for academic disciplinary issues and for matters related to the code of conduct.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the collection and analysis of data concerning student experiences and outcomes. Monitor student satisfaction with regard to student services through surveys and ongoing performance feedback. Envision opportunities for strategic change within the Student Affairs team and across the University, especially as it relates to the student experience, in partnership with the University leadership team.
- Work closely with the Provost and Deans to manage the production of the Academic Handbook for Students.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in a relevant academic discipline. Candidates with doctoral degrees and established academic records may be considered for a concurrent faculty appointment within the University.
- Demonstrated experience with student affairs, university life, and administration.
- At least 5 years required of progressively responsible administrative experience in higher education, preferably in student affairs/student development.
- Experience in planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution.
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new university along with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to resolve challenges effectively and to build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the University.
- Evidence of experience in, and a strong commitment to, the development and support of interprofessional education in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities
- Knowledge of university life and student services with a strong student-focused mindset
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and recommendations effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a budget and ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Established development of strong professional networks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a separate cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to the following: [email protected] . Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is January 2020, subject to negotiation.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide an accommodation benefit in the compensation package and will assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school (K-12) for an employee’s children. There is a child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living, and expatriates can live a very comfortable life in Vietnam with a moderate expenditure.
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html