External Engagement Manager
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: College of Business (including Hospitality as well as Real Estate); College of Engineering and Computer Science; and College of Health Sciences. The VinUniversity will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in the Ukraine in 1993 by several Vietnamese living there at the time. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became the Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and the largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial manager with a strong record of excellence in external engagement and outreach. The candidate should have experience in the management of a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the External Engagement Manager at VinUniversity.
The External Engagement Manager is a results-oriented manager with demonstrated experience in outreach and external engagement, with proven skills in academic or other administration and in resource management, and with a distinguished record of success in obtaining external funding and sponsorships. As a strong preference, but not a requirement, the candidate should have a strong academic record in a unit of a university.
Important attributes of the External Engagement Manager include respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively. Additionally, the successful candidate will have held an administrative appointment in a university system setting with experience working with multiple internal and external stakeholders, such as governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university are critical.
- Provide expert counsel in matters related to outreach and engagement aligned with VinUniversity’s vision and mission.
- Develop an Outreach and Engagement implementation plan, and accomplish its goals for growth and innovation in a new, complex University, building on engagement with external organizations.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the University and industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions.
- Nurture industry relationships that provide student internships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects.
- Nurture the University portfolio of outreach and external engagement activities with local, national, and international visibility.
- Enhance collaboration and synergies among the outreach and engagement efforts of the University with external colleges, institutes, and centers as well as with their respective administrative units.
- Establish a university-wide Council of Outreach and Engagement to involve leaders from all academic and support units. Through that Council, coordinate the University’s diverse academic outreach and engagement activities in order to create coherence and to enhance collaboration and impact.
- Serve as an enthusiastic advocate and spokesperson within the University for outreach and engagement internally to faculty, staff, and students and externally to alumni, donors, and friends.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong academic record (preferred, but not required) at an international standard university
- Evidence of experience in, and a strong commitment to, outreach and external engagement activities in an academic institution
- Demonstrated leadership experience at the college or university level—preferably at a large and complex academic institution—within academic administration and external relations, including experience in planning, fiscal management, and resource allocation
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University along with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to resolve challenges effectively and to build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the University
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Established development of strong professional networks
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private, not-for-profit, and world-class universities
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and recommendations effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a budget and ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a separate cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to the following: [email protected]. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers).
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide an accommodation benefit in the compensation package and assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school (K-12) for an employee’s children. There is a child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living, and expatriates can live a very comfortable life in Vietnam with a moderate expenditure.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn