Executive Director for University Life and Student Affairs
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: College of Business (including Hospitality as well as Real Estate); College of Engineering and Computer Science; and College of Health Sciences. The VinUniversity will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in the Ukraine in 1993 by several Vietnamese living there at the time. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became the Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and the largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks a visionary leader with a record of excellence in education and university administration. The candidate should have a strong administrative leadership in the management of a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the Executive Director for University Life and Student Affairs at VinUniversity.
The Executive Director for University Life and Student Affairs is the chief student-personnel officer of the University and advises the Provost/President on all matters pertaining to non-academic student life. The Executive Director serves as the senior executive officer responsible for providing leadership and general management of units in the division:
- Student Life Activities: Student Union, Conference Services, Office of Student Orientation and Engagement, Co-curricular involvement, Leadership Development, Student Organizations, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Intramural and Recreational Sports, Residence Life.
- Students Office: Student Conduct, Behavioral Intervention.
- Student Academic Support Services: Career Counseling, Internal and External Internship Coordination, Career Fairs, Student and alumni Job Placement, Counseling and Testing, Emergency Psychological Services.
- University Bookstore: Bookstore, shop and catalogue, convenience stores
- Campus & Facilities Management: Classrooms, Academic offices, Laboratories, Library, and other learning and collaboration spaces; Housing, Parking, Canteen and Dining Services…
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university are critical.
Student Affairs Management
- Manage the fiscal planning and management of the Student Affairs including operations and staffing matters. Provide training as needed, staff evaluations, professional development, and related personnel matters to ensure that the Student Affairs team consistently contributes to an exceptional student experience that promotes our student's academic success and wellbeing.
- Manage the development of short and long-range operating plans, including programs services and budgets. Work with Colleges and University staff to set development priorities for the Student Affairs team.
- Partner with the Deans and University leaders to provide leadership for a student culture that celebrates diversity and encourages an inclusive and respectful campus climate.
- Advise students on parameters of University and College policies, identify and evaluate options to resolve issues and challenges, and serve as a resource for students with disabilities. Provide guidance to students. Maintain confidentiality during discussions with students, faculty, police and health professionals.
- Collaborate with the Provost and other Dean's Office team members in creating and coordinating an emergency management and readiness process especially as it relates to current students. Manage student crisis management.
- Work with College of Health Sciences and other partners on relevant student mental health services issues and protocols.
- Work with the Deans to provide guidance and support to students as part of the academic disciplinary and code of conduct grievance processes.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the collection and analysis of data concerning student experiences and outcomes. Monitor student satisfaction with services through surveys and ongoing performance feedback. Envision opportunities for strategic change within the Student Affairs team and across the Univesity, especially as it relates to the student experience, in partnership with the leadership team.
- Work closely with the Provost, Deans to manage the production of the Academic Student Handbook.
Campus & Facilities Management
- Facilities management: supervise asset management; implement the procedures for the granting, transfer and liquidation of assets between VinUniversity and other companies; manage and organize the archiving of documents related to construction works.
- Operation management: develop processes and standards for effective operation management of the infrastructure system. Operate effectively the infrastructure system. Predict the risks that may arise in the operation, proactive solutions to find solutions to prevent. Handle situations, operating issues.
- Technical management, maintenance: Develop processes, standards for ensuring technical safety of the entire system. Operation, maintenance, repair of equipment and assets. Control and ensure the safety of electricity, fire, environmental issues. Develop and implement regulations on fire safety and technical safety.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in a relevant academic discipline. Candidates with doctoral degrees and established academic records may be considered for a concurrent faculty appointment within the university.
- Demonstrated experience with student affairs, university life and administration.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible administrative experience in higher education, preferably in student affairs/student development, is required.
- Experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision of preferably a large and complex academic institution.
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new university, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the university.
- Evidence of experience and a strong commitment to the development and support of interprofessional education in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities
- Knowledge of university life and student services with strong student focused mindset…
- Knowledge, background and experience of all building trades, building and grounds maintenance, working knowledge of industry cleaning procedures and standards
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Possess strong professional networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a separate cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to the following: [email protected]. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is as early as August 2019 up until December 2019, subject to negotiation.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide an accommodation benefit in the compensation package and will assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school (K-12) for an employee’s children. There is a child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Spousal and partner hiring: Opportunities for dual career academic couples will be considered.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living, and expatriates can live a very comfortable life in Vietnam with a moderate expenditure.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn
Apply for Executive Director for University Life and Student Affairs
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly