Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching; and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: a College of Business (including Hospitality, and Real Estate); a College of Engineering and Computer Science; a Colege of Health Sciences. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing) and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, society, and nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21 century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks a visionary leader with rigorous academic credentials and a record of excellence in education, accreditation and university administration. The candidate should have a distinguished record of excellence in academia, and strong administrative leadership in the management of a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the founding Vice Provost for Academic Affairs at VinUniversity.
The Vice Provost is an advocate for all academic programs, providing leadership to faculty and academic staff to ensure consistent quality standards in curriculum and programs that meet the needs of students and for the mission and goals of the University. The Vice Provost oversees the academic integrity of the university and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, curriculum, and program development. The Vice Provost ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies as well as Government accreditation and regulation. The Vice Provost’s office is responsible for taking care of admissions, registrar, student records, and financial aids, managing Center of Teaching and Research Excellence, General Education Program, Learning Materials (Library) and related administrative activities. The Vice Provost reports to the Provost and collaborates with the Colleges Deans (Business, Engineering and Computer Science, Health Sciences) and other Sr. administrators to ensure highest level of academic excellence across the entire university.
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university are critical.
- Provide leadership for all academic programs, especially General education program and works with the College of Business, College of Engineering and Computer Science, College of Health Sciences deans and faculty to facilitate appropriate program development to ensure world-class quality of curriculum and alignment of the with VinUniversity’s vision and mission.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations across the colleges at VinUniversity.
- Play a key oversight role in the accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the curriculum and programs. Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the colleges approach high national/regional ranking, and are well placed with respect to the University’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Oversee the development of marketing strategies to promote the University to prospective students.
- Collaborate with the university’s admission division to recruit, retain, and graduate high-quality students.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the University and the industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions. Nurture industry relationships that provide student internships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects.
- In collaboration with college deans, recruit and retain high quality faculty and academic staff. Recommend appointment, promotion, and professional development of faculty members and academic staff.
- Develop and manage teaching & research certification development program recognized by Cornell and University of Pennsylvania.
- Library gets accreditation with QS 5 Star quality.
- Provide leadership in matters of academic policy and administration and regularly advise the Provost/ President on these matters.
- Coordinate and provide leadership for the academic strategic planning process.
- Coordinate with the College Deans for Enrollment Management, the preparation of the class schedule each semester; approve the final class schedule.
- Supervise Director Center of Excellence, General Education Program Director, Admissions Director, and Registrar & Learning Materials Director and performs other tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Distinguished scholar with academic record to warrant the position of full professor at an international standard university.
- Demonstrated sr. leadership experience at university or college level within academic administration.
- Demonstrated experience with educational accreditations and regulations
- At least ten years of successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision of preferably a large and complex academic institution
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the University
- Evidence of experience and a strong commitment to the development and support of inter-professional education in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate education
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private, not-for-profit and world-class universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Possess strong professional networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a separate cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to the following: [email protected]. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is as early as August 2019 up until December 2019, subject to negotiation.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide an accommodation benefit in the compensation package and will assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school (K-12) for an employee’s children. There is a child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Spousal and partner hiring: Opportunities for dual career academic couples will be considered.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living, and expatriates can live a very comfortable life in Vietnam with a moderate expenditure.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn