Director for Registration and Learning Resources (Library)
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity Project has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the QS 5-star rating standards and will include the following colleges within the University: College of Business (including Hospitality as well as Real Estate); College of Engineering and Computer Science; and College of Health Sciences. The VinUniversity will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in the Ukraine in 1993 by several Vietnamese living there at the time. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became the Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is “to create a better life for the Vietnamese people.” In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and the largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial Director with a strong record of excellence in registration and learning resources management. The candidate should have experience in the management of a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the Director for Registration and Learning Resources at VinUniversity.
The successful candidate is an enthusiastic, experienced, and innovative academic professional with significant experience in the following: development of information literacy programs and of collections, reference and instruction services, coordination of information technology, assessment of library services, and oversight of library personnel, facilities, and budget.
The Director also provides leadership and oversight of the collegiate exam administration; timely delivery of transcripts, diplomas, verification of enrollment, and other related matters; coordination of services and functions with the University's Office of Admissions and with Information Technology; internal collaboration with the administration and various offices of each College as well as with their faculty, students, and alumni; communication of policies, procedures, and policies to students and various college/university stakeholders; and management of the course management system.
Important attributes of the Director include respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively. Additionally, the successful candidate will have held an administrative appointment in a university system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, faculty, and student. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university is critical.
- Establish the calendars for the University as a whole and for each College.
- Produce and publish the course listings each term and enter data into the course management system; communicate with each College and resolve discrepancies.
- Oversee and maintain effective registration and transfer policies, procedures, and records. Manage all responsibilities related to registration matters, including transcript and degree verification services, enrollment, degree clearances and certifications, and degree audits. Provide and collect other related information.
- Publish the registration schedule, assign registration times for students, and register incoming and current first year students for class. Implement systems to ensure that conditions of registration are followed, and resolve course conflicts.
- Provide a service-focused environment for students in collaboration with other offices within the University.
- Maintain all related student academic records and class lists; and compile statistical reports as requested by the administration of the University, Colleges, and the faculty. Monitor degree progression for all programs; and verify and confer degrees.
- Communicate various deadlines, policies, and requirements to students and other constituents.
- Manage all aspects of student academic records for the University and for each College. Record grades, assess class ranks and honors, and issue transcripts and diplomas when requested.
- Oversee the collection and distribution of faculty teaching evaluations while working closely with the Vice Provost of Academic Affairs and the appropriate Deans of each College. Create grade reports and distribute to the collegiate Dean and faculty.
- Respond to requests for information from relevant government agencies, accrediting bodies, and other external agencies as appropriate; inform other University offices of requests for records.
- Manage and oversee the processes for classroom assignments for the University and the Colleges.
- Assist in the development of policies and best practices associated with classroom utilization and scheduling.
- Oversee exam scheduling and administration.
- Further responsibilities include systems support and development as well as data collection, analysis, and reporting.
Learning resources management
The Director serves also in the role of Head Librarian and provides leadership for operational aspects of the University’s Library. Within the University’s policies and parameters, specific duties will include the following:
- Develop short- and long-range plans for the Library, consistent with the vision, mission, and goals of the University.
- Provide visionary leadership to achieve the Library’s strategic goals.
- Develop and further new initiatives and services; and apply emerging technologies to foster learning and research.
- Develop policies concerning the development and provision of Library resources and services in consultation with Deans, Directors, professional Librarians, administration, and faculty.
- Maintain well-organized procedures for the selection, acquisition, and cataloging of physical and online collections, books, periodicals, and other library materials to support the University curricula.
- Prepare the annual Library budget and authorize the expenditure of budgeted Library funds.
- Have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing the academic Library in the prevailing higher education environment.
- Serve as liaison Librarian to assigned departments and conduct Library orientation classes in these assigned areas.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree required from an accredited institution in Library & Information Science, Educational Management, or related discipline
- At least five years of full-time collegiate-level library leadership and/or Registrar experience, including planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Expertise in information literacy standards and current industry trends with the ability to create engaging presentations, workshops, and online materials for use by students, faculty, and staff.
- Experience selecting and developing reference and circulation materials, including books, periodicals, CDs, DVDs, eBooks, and other electronic/digital resources.
- Familiarity with Canvas, Blackboard, or other online Learning Management System
- Appropriate membership in a Library Association, Association of College & Research Libraries, and academic library consortiums.
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University along with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to resolve challenges effectively and to build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the University
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and recommendations effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget and ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Established development of strong professional networks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a separate cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to the following: [email protected]. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is as early as August 2019 up until December 2019, subject to negotiation.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: VinUniversity will provide an accommodation benefit in the compensation package and will assist with accommodation options.
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: VinUniversity will assist in finding an excellent school (K-12) for an employee’s children. There is a child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Spousal and partner hiring: Opportunities for dual career academic couples will be considered.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living, and expatriates can live a very comfortable life in Vietnam with a moderate expenditure.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn