Director of Web and Digital Communications
Director of Web and Digital Communications
May 6, 2019
Be an important part of Pratt Institute’s growing dynamic and collaborative communications and marketing division. Lead Pratt’s new Web and digital communications team to create a digital strategy that is transformative, user-centric, and outstanding among our peers.
Pratt’s Communications and Marketing division has created a new director-level position to be a key member of Pratt’s Communications and Marketing's leadership. In collaboration with our editorial, creative, marketing, and client services teams, the Director of Web and Digital Communications will build digital strategies that drive innovative, integrated, multi-platform, marketing communications and connect with internal and external audiences.
- together with the Vice President, serving as senior strategic leader of all digital communications strategies, initiatives and services for the Pratt community,
- providing governance, direction, planning, and digital implementation that is integrated into a unified communications plan,
- developing a strategic plan for future Web growth and priorities,
- directing all aspects of development, design and content of Pratt Institute’s affiliated web and digital communications platforms ensuring that they are unified, structured, designed, updated, search engine optimized, compliant with marketing, business, and technology best practices, and serve the needs of the Pratt community and all its communications efforts,
- directing and advising campus academic and administrative departments regarding pratt.edu, myPratt, flexible web design spaces, campus monitor content, video programing and presentations, calendars, news and student/faculty work presentation, and integrated aggregators and apps, in collaboration with our partners in Pratt’s Information Technology (IT) division,
- reviewing Web analytics and use of data to inform decision and advise Institute colleagues,
- directing and supervising all emerging digital communication initiatives and custom web tools throughout the Institute, in close collaboration with our partners in the academic, administrative, technology units, ensuring that all initiatives emerge from a clear understanding of the strategic plan, the needs and priorities of the academic and administrative leadership, the Institute’s marketing and branding efforts, and enterprise technology structure and capacity,
- leading a full-service interdisciplinary digital communications team, that serves campus clients from the first point of contact to development and implementation,
- leading the digital communications team to provide ongoing development and support, for all digital communications efforts and initiatives, including content, information architecture, UX/UI, client-user access, and integration into broader, multi-platform, mobile-first communications plans,
- leading the digital communications team to provide customer support, content development, marketing direction, and training for all users and content providers of Pratt’s digital communications services and platforms,
- leading the digital communications team to work with and advise all academic departments and offices to ensure all additions to the Institute’s digital communications ecosystem are interconnected and easily navigable, following Pratt’s information architecture and interface design, analytics, and SEO requirements,
- ensuring Pratt’s digital communications and web presences adhere to the current branding and visual identity practices and standards of the Institute as a whole,
- fostering a collaborative, shared-resources structure, in partnership with colleagues throughout the Institute and within Pratt’s Communication and Marketing division for all research, design, visual identity, marketing, news, public relations, storytelling and publishing initiatives and content, to build the most effective and dynamic digital experience for Pratt
- reviewing the Institute's engagement with outside consultants, designers, editors and technical resources.
The ideal candidate is a champion for collaboration and innovation with a proven history of developing and leading the implementation of strategic Web and digital media communications. The candidate will be an expert in implementing successful, enterprise-level, “future-proof” Web and digital technologies, ensuring positive user-experience and engagement results, informed by data and review.
The candidate must demonstrate management and leadership skills; the ability to be a bridge-builder and liaison between academic, administrative and technology departments throughout the Institute; have a strong understanding of messaging, visual identity and digital communications practices and strategies across Web, social media, and mobile technology; and demonstrate experience applying UX and UI principles. The candidate will be a strategist who loves data and using it to drive decision-making. The candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills that facilitate collaboration with colleagues at all levels and with internal and external customers. The Director must be self-motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented, and have the ability to manage and work within a budget.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required; master's degree preferred
- Seven to 10 years of digital experience and management in a complex organization, such as a large corporation or university
- Extensive experience conceptualizing and launching websites and other digital strategies from content to post-launch management
- Demonstrated expertise applying UX and UI principles, including the development of tailored or personalized user experiences driven by data
- Proven success working closely with strategic communicators and administrative colleagues to develop effective and innovative user-centric, mobile-first communications solutions
- Creative and innovative project development experience, demonstrating the ability to match personal vision with institutional priorities and strategic initiatives
- Strong of ownership for product success, balancing technical, graphic, navigational, and client demands
- A self-starter who can also work with others to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables, including managing tradeoffs between technology, user experience and client needs
- Experience developing standards, schedules and workflow processes to meet deadlines and client needs
- Strong communications skills with emphasis on empowering colleagues and inspiring change
- Strong command of a variety of content management systems, in order to troubleshoot and understand CMS logic
- Demonstrated understanding of UX/UI/IA development, as well as familiarity with a wide variety of digital publishing platforms and tools (e.g., Drupal, Word Press, etc.)
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Apple OS and the Microsoft Office Suite a plus
- Familiarity with higher education communications supporting recruitment, fundraising, engagement and academic program marketing a plus
A completed application, cover letter, and resume, submitted through the Pratt Institute Interfolio website is required. A digital portfolio demonstrating professional experience is a helpful. Candidates selected for the interview process will be asked to provide five references via our on-line reference tool system, at least two of which must be references who have directly supervised the applicant. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
About Pratt Institute
Founded in 1887, Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education dedicated to preparing its 4,600 undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information, and liberal arts and sciences. Located in the cultural hub of New York City with historic campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pratt is a living lab of craft and creativity with esteemed professors and scholars who challenge their talented students to transform their passion into meaningful expression.
About Pratt’s Communications and Marketing Division
At Pratt, we have a unique opportunity to build a collaborative communications and marketing model unlike most institutions of higher education, because our faculty and students, staff, and alumni/ae do the work of design and storytelling in everything they do. Partnering with our colleagues to promote their students and programs, to co‐own the Institute’s brand, and to develop effective new communications channels makes the work of Pratt’s Communications and Marketing team so much more resonant, innovative, and supportive to the Institute. Our team of talented experts in varied media is committed to providing the robust, multi‐channeled, and collaborative communications, and marketing operation our Institute deserves, reflecting the same level of creativity, design, collaboration, and problem solving that is expected from our students and faculty.