Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Adjunct Instructor
Posting DetailsPosition Information Rank Adjunct Term Length Varies Position Status Part Time Position Title Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Adjunct Instructor Campus Chicago - Michigan Ave. If other, please specify
We have openings in Wheeling, IL and in Chicago, IL – Loop.Position Summary
National Louis University’s Undergraduate College is seeking Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Adjunct Instructors to join our team, beginning in fall term (September 2019), to instruct: a variety of undergraduate teacher preparation courses for Early Childhood and Elementary Education teacher candidates including: teacher preparation foundations courses; infant/toddler development, curriculum, screening and overall responsive caregiving courses; pre-k development and curriculum courses; early care and education administration coursework; practicum courses for candidates wanting to work with ECE birth to five, ECE K-2nd grade and ELE 1st through 6th grade students; ECE and ELE methods (literacy, math, social studies and science) courses, Special Education courses (leading to the LBS1 Endorsement) and English as an Additional Language courses (leading to the ESL and/or Bilingual Endorsements)
Who we are: We are a team of dedicated educators who have been working together to build an amazing new Instructional Model that supports first-time freshmen and transfer students – majority first-generation college-goers – with a focus on the holistic student. The Teacher Preparation program has grown over the last year and we expect to continue to grow in the coming years. We work fearlessly on educating and retaining students. As a result, we have exceeded national benchmarks with our approach to appreciative advising and data-driven, personalized instruction. Our education is student-focused, expects excellence, provides personalized support in a data-driven environment, and is undergirded by the pillars of continuous improvement and innovation to guide our work.
Who you are: Driven to succeed, highly organized and knowledgeable about teacher preparation and the diverse education field.
You are energetic and passionate about a diverse student body that includes first-generation students and transfer students. To be successful in this program, you must be committed to excellence in teaching and learning in Higher Education. The position requires you to be agile, creative, and engaging while offering an innovative, practice based curriculum and an unparalleled experience to undergraduate students. Enthusiastic candidates have the belief that all students can be successful students. As an active team member you believe in a supportive environment and a student-driven culture.
You will: Teach courses in the Undergraduate College’s (UGC) Teacher Preparation Department.
You believe that your work has demonstrated your respect for education and the power that it holds. Each term, you will facilitate online or blended classes that utilize technology and data to drive instruction. These courses may be held online, on campus during the day, evening or weekend and are at our Wheeling or Chicago campuses. You will work with a dedicated team of Student Coaches, Faculty, Data Analysts and UGC team members to determine how to personalize the learning experience for students in the teacher preparation majors. You will help support teacher preparation students as they move through their program toward their eventual goal: graduation and teaching.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND/OR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a subject matter expert, and teach courses in Undergraduate Teacher Preparation. These courses can be for the following majors/minors: Early Childhood Practice (birth-five teacher preparation/non-licensure—including courses focused on infant/toddler teaching and caregiving practices), Early Childhood Education (birth-2nd grade teacher preparation/licensure, including courses focused on the development of the preschool child AND ECE methods courses), Elementary Education (1st – 6th grade teacher preparation/licensure, including STEM for educators coursework and ELE methods courses), Special Education (coursework leading to an LBS1 Endorsement) and/or English as an Additional Language (coursework leading to an ESL/Bilingual Endorsement) and/or Early Care and Education Administration courses (courses leading to the Gateways Illinois Director Credential).
- Participate in weekly Student Success Collaborative (SSC) meetings, using data to inform instruction, student success and support and teaming with other educators in the program.
- Maintain current and active knowledge in the expertise area that is reflected in instruction
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for post-secondary success for diverse learners
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in education (ECE, ELE, SPE or C&I) OR Master’s degree in a related field with at least 18SH in education coursework (from ECE, ELE, SPE or C&I fields) plus a minimum of 5 years of experience successfully teaching in a classroom setting, with students within the same grade range of Master’s Degree.
- Experience and knowledge in supporting teacher candidates in their dispositional, theoretical and practical growth, using an engaging and practice based curriculum.
- Specialized knowledge in working with and supporting diverse learners.
- Experience and a passion for elevating and driving toward excellence in teaching teacher preparation in a higher education setting, particularly with diverse learners from underserved and under-represented populations.
- Technologically savvy, with experience working with different platforms and learning management systems.
- Completion of pre-employment training in Desire to Learn, NLU’s online teaching program.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Collaborative attitude and creative problem-solving skills.
Please attach scanned or downloaded copies of official transcripts for all graduate and terminal degrees completed and for all relevant graduate coursework. Official documentation from the university(ies) via mail or e-transcript may be required if approved to teach any course(s).Quick Link for Internal Postings http://jobs.nl.edu/postings/5098 Supplemental Questions (HR Only)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you legally eligible for employment in USA?
- Do you have previous experience in secondary or higher education?
- Are you available to teach weekday daytime classes on campus?
- Do you have experience with digital tools for teaching, teaching in either online or blended/hybrid formats ?
- What is the highest degree you've earned at an accredited institution of higher education?
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctoral Degree (PhD, EdD, EdS, JD, DBA, etc.)
- Transcript A
- Cover Letter
- Transcript B
- Transcript C
- Teaching Philosophy