Health Occupations/LVN-to-RN Nursing Full-Time Instructor
Requisition DetailsPosition Information Position TitleHealth Occupations/LVN-to-RN Nursing Full-Time InstructorHow many positions are you recruiting for?1CampusMission College Position Summary Information Definition
The Health Occupations Department at Mission College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track instructor in the LVN-RN and Vocational Nursing Programs.
Do you remember the one professor who encouraged you to believe in yourself and your ability to be the successful nurse professional you are today? Now you have the opportunity to be that instructor at an institution where the mission is to provide extraordinary care for students. Come share our excitement for teaching and our commitment to excellence in education. We are looking for someone with a willingness to help our department grow and who will enjoy working with our diverse student body.
Mission College, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is seeking a dynamic leader who thrives in a fast-paced and innovative environment. Recognized as both a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution, Mission College is known for the strength of our academic programs and faculty as well as our equity-minded and student- focused approach that combines high-tech and high-touch.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This position is open until filled. First review of applications will begin May 20, 2019.Assignment
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2019. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA, as well as local area clinical agencies.Salary and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $64,631 to $100,582 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated.
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in Nursing; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing AND Master’s degree in Health Education or Health Science; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Direct patient care experience within the previous 5 years, which can be met by:
- One year’s continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse; OR
- One academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency;
3. Completion of at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing.
4. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Must also possess a current, valid California Board of Registered Nursing License (CA BRN)Desired Qualifications
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following desired qualification:
- Pediatric with Multi-Specialty for LVN-RN and VN programs
Not ApplicableExamples of Duties and Responsibilities
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in-class activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), ensuring regular effective student contact for Distance Education courses, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes, and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
- Maintain accurate class and other records.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, class and office schedules.
- File a syllabus for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week.
- Provide each student with a current course syllabus as required by Title 5, which includes SLOs, classroom procedures, requirements and grading policies and provide a copy to the Division Office.
- Refer students to appropriate college resources.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, essential to the ongoing operation and effective achievement of department, division, college and district programs.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including: (1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Supplemental application questions; (3) Resume; (4) Unofficial copies of transcripts; (5) Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested; and (6) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will be removed from your application and will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- If a minimum requirement is possession of a degree, then a copy of transcripts is required to be included with your application to verify the degree being awarded. If no transcripts are included, the application may be screened as not meeting minimum requirements.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees not identical to the required state or local qualifications must apply for equivalency by completing the equivalency form, which is part of the application package. See Equivalency Information below.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application. A list of sample credential review services is available on the District HR website at: https://wvm.edu/services/hr/careers/Forms/Foreign%20Degree%20Equivalency%20Resources.pdf
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Applicants applying under equivalency bear the responsibility of submitting the District’s Equivalency Application form with details and evidence of the factors (academic preparation and/or experience) that they believe to be equivalent of the required qualifications for this position. Application(s) for equivalency are required if degrees are not in exact discipline required.
The Equivalency Application is included in the online application as an OPTIONAL form to complete.
- ONLY complete the Request for Equivalency application if degree does not match discipline(s) stated in the Minimum Qualifications.
- List accurately and completely the courses taken that match requirements of the required degree.
- Do NOT attach documents such as course evaluations.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059
Email: [email protected]
SELECTION PROCESS INFORMATION:
- After the deadline date, a committee will review and evaluate applications and supporting materials to select the applicants to be interviewed. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview.
- All candidates will receive an e-notification to acknowledge receipt of their application materials. If not contacted within 3-6 weeks following the close of the recruitment, no suitable match was determined at this time.
- Travel expenses to attend first-level interview are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Application materials become the property of the District and will not be returned or duplicated.
- The District may choose to re-advertise or indefinitely delay filling a position. Some positions may include first and second level interviews.
- The District reserves the right to contact former, current, the most recent employers, and others to investigate past employment records of applicants.
- Any tentative verbal offer of employment is contingent upon formal approval of the college Governing Board.
- Upon hire the successful candidate must provide the required documents of identity and authorization to work and attest he/she is authorized to work in the United States.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ a diverse workforce who will contribute to an inclusive and welcoming educational and employment environment. The District is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, physical disability, mental disability, genetic information, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, military or veteran status, and medical condition consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT REQUESTED:
- Upload a photocopy of any licenses, certificates or California credentials you may possess as related to this position (RN, LVN, PT).
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Upon application, can you demonstrate direct patient care experience within the previous 5 years, which can be met by:(A) One year's continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse; OR(B) One academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency?
- * Upon application, can you demonstrate completion of at least one year's experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing?
- * Do you possess, or have ability to obtain, a valid and current California license as a Registered Nurse?
- Cover Letter
- Other Related Licenses or Certificates
- Additional Transcripts
- Additional Supporting Documentation
- Supporting Documentation for Equivalency Request 1
- Supporting Documentation for Equivalency Request 2