Dean of Safety, Health and Well-Being
World Learning’s accredited academic institution, School for International Training (SIT), seeks a Dean of Safety, Health, and Well-Being to lead the Student Affairs team. The Dean will provide oversight and vision to SIT’s Study Abroad and Graduate Institute in the areas of student safety, health and well-being; counseling; diversity and identity issues; Title IX; support for students with disabilities; and security and risk management. The Dean will work with internal and external stakeholders, including providing guidance and training to SIT site staff abroad, interfacing with partner universities, and will sit on the Council of Deans and the President’s Cabinet as part of the institution’s leadership team. The Dean will establish and uphold cutting edge practices and protocols to position SIT as a leader in student affairs worldwide. The Dean of Safety, Health, and Well-Being reports to the President of SIT. This is a full-time position requiring presence at our campus in Brattleboro, Vermont.
· Using a student-centered approach, provide innovative leadership and daily management of all aspects of student affairs, crisis and risk management, and provision of student services globally, in alignment with SIT’s institutional values, ethos, and standards of conduct;
· Establish and implement short- and long-range department goals, objectives, policies, budgets and operating procedures
· Proactively communicate to internal and external stakeholders student affairs policies, protocols, and procedures to support student success abroad
· Advance SIT staff’s awareness and implementation of student diversity, identity, and inclusion issues, and the various changing needs of graduate and undergraduate students within the study abroad sector and higher education generally;
· Serve as part of SIT’s leadership team proactively managing all safety, security, health, and risk management issues involving students and program delivery sites;
· Supervise and coordinate on-campus residential activities and commencement;
· Supervise U.S.-based student affairs team and foster a collaborative, communicative environment;
· Guide SIT faculty and staff across the world in their understanding of SIT’s graduate and undergraduate student body and their changing needs;
· Communicate with partner and sending universities’ study abroad and risk management offices on critical student issues and incidents;
· Develop, monitor, and track budget and departmental expenditures;
· Serve as external representative and liaison on student affairs issues with partner and sending universities; professional associations; study abroad industry; and students and their parents. Represent SIT and present at relevant professional conferences;
· Oversee SIT’s F and J visa programs and processing
· Participate in on-call duty system for worldwide student emergency response;
· Oversee the student conduct system and appeals process;
· Deliver on-site and remote training for staff and orientation sessions/programs to students;
· Represent student affairs on various internal committees;
· Supervises Title IX staff;
· Perform other related duties or special projects as assigned.
· Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, or related field;
· 10+ years of experience in student affairs with a strong international component or directly managing international or study abroad programs;
· Experience in running international programs and interfacing with colleagues overseas;
· Experience leading and managing staff in a communicative and supportive environment;
· Demonstrated ability to re-examine and re-engineer operations and procedures, formulate policy, and develop and implement new strategies and procedures.
· Knowledge of F and J visa processes and policies;
· Proven success at managing and solving emergency and crisis situations involving students abroad;
· Intercultural competency and excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
· Knowledge of current issues, trends, and directions in best practices in study abroad;
· Flexibility to travel and valid passport;
About World Learning and School for International Training
World Learning is a rewarding place to work. Our education, development, and exchange programs are transformative. We help people find their voices, connect with their communities, strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society, and build relationships across cultures—all in pursuit of a more peaceful and just world.
School for International Training (SIT), is a global, accredited non-for-profit higher education institution and part of World Learning, offering programs in more than 50 countries at the graduate and undergraduate levels. An SIT education challenges our students to think critically and provides them with skills to tackle the most critical contemporary global issues. Our values foster the development of leaders committed to social justice, peace, and understanding across cultures.
Why Work for World Learning/SIT
World Learning and School for International Training, apply the same philosophy to building our team as we employ in our work around the world. We offer an inclusive and supportive environment that values the contributions of our colleagues across all departments and areas of expertise. We nurture leadership skills, lifelong learning, and collaborative working relationships among our staff members. And we offer opportunities designed to help employees succeed in their careers, including generous benefits, flexible schedules, professional development funds, and tuition assistance for graduate-level programs.
School for International Training (SIT) is a member of the non-for-profit World Learning Inc. family, which also includes World Learning and The Experiment in International Living.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.