Business Manager - Riley Institute
Business Manager - Riley Institute
Function: Manages financial and business affairs for the Riley Institute, comprising 20 - 30 active programs and an approximately $2 million annual budget. Oversees and maintains Riley Institute WordPress website development, content, and maintenance. Works closely with Riley Institute leadership and staff and with numerous partners across the University.
Daily, monthly and annual financial management of Riley Institute programs:
- Uses Workday, Furman's enterprise management system, to support many aspects of Riley Institute financial management in conjunction with key campus partners, including Budget and Resource Management office; Financial Services office; and the director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs.
- Consults on establishment of budgets for Riley Institute programs, including proposed budgets for grant- and fee-funded programs.
- Monitors, maintains and reports monthly and annually on budgets and expenditures for all Riley programs, including Diversity Leaders Initiative, Wilkins awards, Emerging Public Leaders, Teachers of Government, White-Riley-Peterson Fellowship, speaker events and conferences, research projects, and others.
- Manages Riley Institute invoices, payments, fund transfers and other financial transactions in accordance with contractual terms and University procedures.
- Resolves budgetary issues and anomalies.
Prepares information and recommendations regarding Riley Institute financial management to executive and deputy directors.
- Annually creates four-year projections of all expenses lacking dedicated funding streams and of how they can best be met with available funding to ensure funding is adequate and to support Riley Institute future planning.
- Reviews past expenses and identifies cost-saving measures.
- Makes recommendations regarding various expenditures and ongoing costs.
- Makes recommendations regarding technology purchases.
Oversees and manages all staff, student and visitor payroll and stipends
- Manages payroll needs for Riley Institute staff, including coordination with director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs regarding funding sources/accounts to be charged.
- Coordinates stipends for other Furman faculty and staff and honorariums for local and international guests; obtains necessary documentation in order for international guests to receive honorariums
Ensures Riley Institute staff are aware of and compliant with University policy connected to financial and business management
- Disseminates new university policies to Riley Institute staff
- Trains new Riley Institute staff members on financial services and travel procedures
Designs, develops content for, maintains and updates Riley Institute website
- Works closely with University Communications as website transitions from Drupal to WordPress platforms.
- Develops, writes some content for, and maintains the Riley Institute's WordPress website (comprising multiple sub-sites, photo galleries, interactive features, cross-linkages through tags, forms, etc.) to promote and educate the community on Riley Institute programs and events; ensures coming events are fully supported
- Monitors and edits website daily to keep site current
- Selects, edits, uploads and captions photos for multiple photo galleries and tiles
- Supervises intern assisting with website development
Serves as a member of the Riley Institute's event planning and implementation team
- Assists with planning and implementation of policy events where needed
- Is present at and assists where needed with all policy events
Manages monthly donor report generated by development, informs executive and deputy directors of gifts, and coordinates thank you notes and communication with donors.
Pursues professional development in business management, accounting, web design and maintenance, and specific technology platforms including Workday and WordPress.
Reports to: Riley Institute deputy director
Relationships: Daily contact with the executive director, deputy director, Riley Institute staff, Budget and Resource Management Office, Office of Financial Affairs, director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs, other departments, faculty, and students to exchange factual information and to plan, coordinate, solve problems, and manage the business functions of the Institute. Works with community partners, Riley Institute participants, guests of the Riley Institute, and the broad community to exchange factual information and explain rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Travel and evening hours: Expected to be present at approximately ten evening policy events per year. Very rare (a few times annually) day travel outside of Greenville.
Responsibility for final decisions: Manages business and related functions of the Institute. May supervise, assist or instruct others doing similar work; including student workers. Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures. Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur, but may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting or other relevant field
- Three to seven years of progressively responsible professional experience
- Bookkeeping or accounting skills and experience
- Experience creating, maintaining, reporting and forecasting for budgets, both at the program level and the overall operating level
- Ability to write some web content
- Ability to learn new technologies/software applications quickly
- Experience with Workday or other enterprise management technology platform is preferred
- Experience with WordPress and Photoshop are preferred
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Business-Manager_R000576
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency