Business Manager - Riley Institute
Job location: Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-05-15
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- You cannot save your progress for later once the process has started!
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
[email protected] or by calling 864-294-2217.Job Title:Business Manager - Riley InstituteJob Family:ProfessionalsFull-Time/Part-Time:Full timeCompensation Grade:7SPay Type:SalaryDepartment:Riley Institute AdminJob Summary:Manages financial and business affairs for the Riley Institute, comprising 20 – 30 active programs and an approximately $2 million annual budget. Oversees and maintains Riley Institute WordPress website development, content, and maintenance. Works closely with Riley Institute leadership and staff and with numerous partners across the University.Job Description:
Function: Manages financial and business affairs for the Riley Institute, comprising 20 – 30 active programs and an approximately $2 million annual budget. Oversees and maintains Riley Institute WordPress website development, content, and maintenance. Works closely with Riley Institute leadership and staff and with numerous partners across the University.
Daily, monthly and annual financial management of Riley Institute programs:
- Uses Workday, Furman’s enterprise management system, to support many aspects of Riley Institute financial management in conjunction with key campus partners, including Budget and Resource Management office; Financial Services office; and the director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs.
- Consults on establishment of budgets for Riley Institute programs, including proposed budgets for grant- and fee-funded programs.
- Monitors, maintains and reports monthly and annually on budgets and expenditures for all Riley programs, including Diversity Leaders Initiative, Wilkins awards, Emerging Public Leaders, Teachers of Government, White-Riley-Peterson Fellowship, speaker events and conferences, research projects, and others.
- Manages Riley Institute invoices, payments, fund transfers and other financial transactions in accordance with contractual terms and University procedures.
- Resolves budgetary issues and anomalies.
Prepares information and recommendations regarding Riley Institute financial management to executive and deputy directors.
- Annually creates four-year projections of all expenses lacking dedicated funding streams and of how they can best be met with available funding to ensure funding is adequate and to support Riley Institute future planning.
- Reviews past expenses and identifies cost-saving measures.
- Makes recommendations regarding various expenditures and ongoing costs.
- Makes recommendations regarding technology purchases.
Oversees and manages all staff, student and visitor payroll and stipends
- Manages payroll needs for Riley Institute staff, including coordination with director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs regarding funding sources/accounts to be charged.
- Coordinates stipends for other Furman faculty and staff and honorariums for local and international guests; obtains necessary documentation in order for international guests to receive honorariums
Ensures Riley Institute staff are aware of and compliant with University policy connected to financial and business management
- Disseminates new university policies to Riley Institute staff
- Trains new Riley Institute staff members on financial services and travel procedures
Designs, develops content for, maintains and updates Riley Institute website
- Works closely with University Communications as website transitions from Drupal to WordPress platforms.
- Develops, writes some content for, and maintains the Riley Institute’s WordPress website (comprising multiple sub-sites, photo galleries, interactive features, cross-linkages through tags, forms, etc.) to promote and educate the community on Riley Institute programs and events; ensures coming events are fully supported
- Monitors and edits website daily to keep site current
- Selects, edits, uploads and captions photos for multiple photo galleries and tiles
- Supervises intern assisting with website development
Serves as a member of the Riley Institute’s event planning and implementation team
- Assists with planning and implementation of policy events where needed
- Is present at and assists where needed with all policy events
Manages monthly donor report generated by development, informs executive and deputy directors of gifts, and coordinates thank you notes and communication with donors.
Pursues professional development in business management, accounting, web design and maintenance, and specific technology platforms including Workday and WordPress.
Reports to: Riley Institute deputy director
Relationships: Daily contact with the executive director, deputy director, Riley Institute staff, Budget and Resource Management Office, Office of Financial Affairs, director of Fiscal Operations for Academic Affairs, other departments, faculty, and students to exchange factual information and to plan, coordinate, solve problems, and manage the business functions of the Institute. Works with community partners, Riley Institute participants, guests of the Riley Institute, and the broad community to exchange factual information and explain rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Travel and evening hours: Expected to be present at approximately ten evening policy events per year. Very rare (a few times annually) day travel outside of Greenville.
Responsibility for final decisions: Manages business and related functions of the Institute. May supervise, assist or instruct others doing similar work; including student workers. Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures. Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur, but may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or other relevant field
- Three to seven years of progressively responsible professional experience
- Bookkeeping or accounting skills and experience
- Experience creating, maintaining, reporting and forecasting for budgets, both at the program level and the overall operating level
- Ability to write some web content
- Ability to learn new technologies/software applications quickly
- Experience with Workday or other enterprise management technology platform is preferred
- Experience with WordPress and Photoshop are preferred