Lecturer - Certified Athletic Trainer & Exercise Science
Posting DetailsPosting Details Working Title Lecturer - Certified Athletic Trainer & Exercise Science Posting Number 2019014FP Position Information Classification Title Lecturer Classification Code 8209 RCW Exemption Criteria 10 - Academic Personnel EWU Position Number F99332 CUPA Code 51.23 - Rehabilitation & Therapeutic Professions FLSA Exempt - Teaching Bargaining Unit UFE % Full Time 100 Salary / Wage Range CUPA Salary Information Anticipated Start Date 09/16/2019 Term of Appointment 100% Academic Year Location Cheney, WA County Spokane Project Description
N/AProject Duration N/A Background Check Yes - Both Department Information Level 1 User with Access Bekah Bray Responsible HR User Lori Livingstone Responsible HR User Email address [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
The College of Arts, Letters, and Education at Eastern Washington University invites applications for a one-year Lecturer position in Athletic Training and Exercise Science in the Department of Physical Education, Health & Recreation (PEHR) to begin September 16, 2019.
Teaching responsibilities include teaching graduate courses in athletic training and undergraduate courses in exercise physiology, physical education, fitness, personal training/group exercise, and/or in other related areas depending on experience and expertise offered by the candidate hired for this position. Position will include responsibility for program advising for athletic training majors and may assist graduate student research. Additional duties as deemed by the Chair of the department may be added to these responsibilities.
Teaching: typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year, subject to department needs. Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
Eastern’s PEHR faculty bring to their undergraduate and graduate programs depth of knowledge and experience in teaching, research, and service. The department’s undergraduate programs prepare students to complete degrees in Public Health, Exercise Science, Health and Fitness, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Tourism Management, and Therapeutic Recreation. We have a Master of Science degree in Athletic Training and in Physical Education with two tracks: Sports and Recreation Administration and Exercise Science. Department faculty have access to all Eastern’s fitness facilities and our well-outfitted human performance lab. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The candidate will be welcomed into an academic community dedicated to cultural diversity, community engagement, and social justice.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
The person hired for this position will receive a one-year contract for academic year 2019-2020.
A copy of the Essential Functions Analysis, which describes conditions of employment, such as physical demands, may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 509-359-2381.Physical Demands
NonePre-Placement Physical No Hearing Test No Medical Monitoring Post Hire No Protective Equipment
- Master’s degree in Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Physical Education, or a Doctorate in Physical Therapy or a Masters in Physical Therapy, or other closely related field
- Demonstrated ability for effective teaching; prefer teaching experience as an instructor of record
- Other demonstrated ability of effective teaching will be considered
- For candidates who do not offer prior experience teaching at the college level, we will consider your related professional practice experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Proof of BOC Certification and be eligible for state licensure (9/16/2019)
- Demonstrated strong teaching record (preference given at the college level)
- Preference may be given to candidates who offer one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
—Experience teaching athletic training and/or exercise science
—Experience in data collection and outcomes assessment for maintaining accreditation
—Student advising experience
- The candidate should have a wellness lifestyle that reflects the philosophy of the PEHR Department
- Time Management
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities. Assignments may include evening classes.Posting Date 05/03/2019 Open Until Further Notice No Closing Date 05/17/2019 Screening to Begin 5/20/2019 Special Instructions to Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Submit your application materials through our online faculty applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resource Services at (509) 359-2381.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin in mid-May 2019. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
- Cover letter: please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence: Attach evidence of effective teaching to include teaching evaluations if available for the most recent two years. Student evaluations should not include the original evaluation materials, but should be limited to 3rd party summaries.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
Additional optional links: If you have additional documents that serve as evidence of how you meet the qualifications, you may upload those items to the optional links labeled Other Document #1 and Other Document #2.Job Duties % of Time 100 Responsibility / Duty
Teaching: typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits (or equivalent) per academic year. Approximately 50% of the teaching load will be in support of the graduate athletic training program. The remaining teaching load will be in undergraduate exercise science, health education, physical education, fitness, and/or personal training/group exercise, subject to department needs. Additional duties as deemed by the Chair of the department can be added to these responsibilities.
Teaching includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA:
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of the course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.Essential Function Indicator Yes Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness
- Diversity Response
- List of Professional References
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2
- DD214 Form