Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist (Microbiome Extension)
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeTenured/Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleAssistant Professor and Extension Specialist (Microbiome Extension)Salary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00104961Work Schedule40 hours week (hours vary)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department110801 - Plant & Microbial BiologyDepartmentPlant & Microbial BiologyJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Plant and Microbial Biology supports teaching, research, and extension programs in fundamental plant biology and microbiology, including basic and applied research, teaching graduate and undergraduate courses, mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, and outreach to state and nation.Essential Job Duties
The Department of Plant and Microbial Biology in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University is pleased to announce recruitment for a tenure-track Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist in agricultural microbiomes with formal appointments in Research (20%) and Extension (80%).
This faculty position would serve as a bridge between existing faculty research in basic microbiome science and the applied research needs of growers, processors and the agricultural biotech industry in the region. Focal areas might include soil, microbe and root interactions, root or foliar symbionts, nutrient cycling and nutrient acquisition, foliar microbial communities and plant agricultural productivity, pre- and post-harvest microbial systems, and commercial treatment of seed with beneficial microbes to improve field performance.
As microbiome extension specialist, this position will serve as a bridge between existing faculty research in basic microbiome science and the applied research needs of growers, processors, and the agricultural biotech industry in the region. The candidate will be expected to work closely with plant and microbial research programs in the department, as well as with research and extension faculty in the Departments of Crop and Soil Science, Entomology and Plant Pathology, Horticultural Science, and Biological and Agricultural Engineering.
Inclusiveness and diversity are academic imperatives and thus are university goals. We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students from underrepresented groups.Other Work/Responsibilities
- Ph.D. in plant biology, microbiology, crop science, soil science, or related discipline, and a commitment to excellence in extension and engagement with constituencies outside the university.
- Strong expertise in beneficial plant microbe interactions.
- Ability to work collaboratively across basic and translational science approaches.
- Agricultural extension experience.
- Strong background in the analysis of microbiomes and beneficial microbes.
- Experience with the agricultural practices and specific needs of North Carolina and the South Eastern U.S.
- Valid NC Driver’s Licence or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
While driving a vehicle is not an essential function of this position, we believe it is necessary to have a valid NC driver’s license to perform the essential functions of the job. This position will need to travel off-site on occasion, alone and must independently be able to travel from location to location without reliance on others or the advanced notice that is often required of alternative means of transportation. Due to limitations in funding, the College cannot afford the high costs that would be required in attaining the services of transportation services such as taxis or car services. Should a viable candidate be identified from the recruitment without a license, which we believe to be necessary, we will engage your office and OIED in considering potential alternative solutions that may emerge from a request for a reasonable accommodation.Special Instructions
Please upload the following documents to your application:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Research Statement
4. Extension Statement incorporating a vision for how you plan to engage with
constituents throughout the state of North Carolina (upload to Other Document 1)
5. Contact information for three references.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by the start date, a Ph.D. in plant biology, microbiology, crop science, soil science, or related discipline?
- * A valid driver's license is required. This license must be maintained throughout employment. Do you have a valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document (1)
- Contact Information for References
- Research Statement