Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta College Physical Plant department is seeking to build a pool of qualified applicants for substitute groundskeeper work. We will respond to applications based on our current needs.
To perform general gardening and grounds maintenance work. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class performs a variety of general grounds, gardening, and maintenance duties in the upkeep of campus grounds and functions at a journey level of classification.
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
- Plants, cultivates, prunes, trims, waters, and sprays trees, shrubs, weeds, hedges, and plants
- Plants, fertilizes, waters, mows, edges, aerifies, weeds, and cares for lawns, fence lines, athletic fields, runways, pits, etc.
- Prepares and treats soil for planting
- Operates hand and power tools and equipment including power mowers, edgers, trimmers, sweepers, rotortillers, chainsaw, and tractors
- Keeps campus grounds clean; sweeps sidewalks and picks up paper, rubbish and other debris, and operates blowers
- Applies pesticides to grounds and garden areas for pest control purposes
- Maintains hoses, supplies, and tools in proper condition and repair
- Performs routine servicing, maintenance, and minor repair work on groundskeeping equipment such as mowers, edgers, sprayers, blowers, etc.
- A valid and appropriate California Driver's License
- General groundskeeping and gardening methods and practices
- The safe use, maintenance, and operation of groundskeeping tools, power equipment, and sprinkling systems
- The care, use, and application of pesticides and fertilizers
- Effectively and safely use hand and power tools and equipment associated with groundskeeping and gardening work
- Make minor repairs and adjustments to sprinkling systems
- Perform routine maintenance and repair work on a variety of groundskeeping equipment and tools
- Understand and follow both oral and written instructions
- Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
- Two years of gardening, grounds maintenance, or related work.
- Completion of eight grade or equivalent.
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.