Director of Study Abroad
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Director of Study Abroad.
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
Center for International Education
Posting Close Date
5 days after posting
Manages staff in the Office of Study Abroad and all study abroad programs, events and activities. Works closely with faculty program directors on established programs to ensure sustainability and growth and recruits new faculty to develop programs in non-competing countries/academic fields. The director is responsible for working with faculty to determine program costs and building, refining and reconciling program budgets, as well as maintaining the self-funded, comprehensive Office of Study Abroad budget. Stays current with best practices in international education and implements policies accordingly, in particular as they pertain to health and safety abroad.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with faculty directors to set program budgets and to conceptualize and operationalize programs including arranging flights, in-country transportation, housing, and academic requirements. Provides on-site management on various programs as needed.
- Leads orientations for faculty in preparation for roles and procedures overseas. Communicates regularly with and serves on the International Emergency Response Team on campus. Serves as a liaison for incidents and emergencies abroad and with University Police, Title IX Director, and Office of Legal Counsel on all reporting.
- Maintains annual budget projections and reconciles all study abroad program budgets. Manages foreign bank accounts and on-campus reporting related to the accounts. Supervises vendor payments and other financial matters.
- Manages assessment and evaluation processes for the Office of Study Abroad. Collaborates with faculty to revise assessment instruments, review results, and conducts post-program debriefings. Reviews and updates materials associated with the Office of Study Abroad (waivers, handbooks, manuals and general policies).
- Oversees the Office of Study Abroad promotional efforts, special projects, and events. Represents the office at professional conferences, on-campus activities, and community functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Prior study abroad experience
Ability to travel domestically and internationally
Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
At least five years of experience in the field of study abroad with supervisory experience
Experience in developing and reconciling study abroad program budgets
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
Knowledge of Terra Dotta CRM software
Proficiency in a foreign language
Competency credentials issued by the Forum on Education Abroad
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 76 public universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Foundation’s "higher research activity" designation for doctoral universities, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 35 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 21 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.