Data Research Assistant - Natural Language Processing
Data Research Assistant - Natural Language Processing Job no: 499986
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Computer Science
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: May 01 2019
General Summary of Position:
The NLP researcher will develop algorithms to identify patient cohorts from structured and unstructured data sources with specific medical criteria. The goal is to prepare deliverable data sets for machine learning, data analysis and public release.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- BS or above in Computer Science, Mathematics or Statistics
- Minimum of one year experience with Natural Language Processing such as speech tagging, dependency parsing, semantic word vectors, using tools such as Stanford Core NLP, OpenNLP, Gate; experience with exploratory data analysis techniques and tools such as SAS, MatLab, R
- Proficiency in at least two programming languages including Java, Python, SAS, Matlab, and R
- Excellent writing and communication skills are must
- Preference given to candidates with experience in database and NLP.
- A strong quantitative skill is preferred
Research experience with
• Relational database systems such as MySQL, MS SQL, or PostgresSQL
• Processing data in common file formats such as TXT, CSV, TSV, HTML, XML, JSON
• Linux, Shell scripting, cron job scheduling
• Indexing and querying documents using Apache Solr
• Handling EHR notes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for one year with a possibility of renewal contingent upon funding and successful performance.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.