College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Electrical and Computer Engineering (114282)
Head and Professor
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a highly accomplished scholar and strategic leader as Head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE). The Department is at an exciting time of education, research and innovation in major technical specializations of both electrical and computer engineering. ECE offers degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. It has approximately 100 faculty members, 2,100 undergraduate students and 620 on-campus graduate students; and conducts approximately $50 million per year in externally-funded research.
The Department Head is a tenured full Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering who reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering. Applicants must possess an earned doctorate in a relevant field, as well as demonstrate a scholarly record as a tenured faculty member in the College of Engineering and a renowned reputation in research. The position has responsibilities for leading the faculty in the development of research, teaching, and public service, as well as engaging with industry, private foundations and alumni to advance the success and excellence of the Department. The position also has primary oversight for all administrative, budgetary and promotion decisions for the Department. The successful candidate will:
- lead the Department by presenting a compelling vision for ECE;
- sustain and expand the scholarly excellence of the Department, and endeavor to be the leading program in the country;
- foster, advocate, and promote cutting-edge, innovative undergraduate and graduate curricula as well as multidisciplinary research collaborations through effective leadership and management; foster a positive, engaging environment for undergraduate program excellence;
- demonstrate a commitment to diversity, and work with faculty and staff to promote and create initiatives for diversity and inclusion throughout the Department;
- promote an engaging environment for tenure system and specialized faculty members, grounded on effective mentoring and academic and professional development;
- leverage both existing and new long-term connections with industry to better position ECE as a leader for cutting-edge research and industry partnerships;
- create and maintain a supportive environment for faculty to pursue large-scale interdisciplinary center funding with major impact;
- endorse a culture of active alumni engagement with the Department that celebrates its graduates as agents of its impact to the world and as the stewards of its long-term excellence;
- direct the Department’s advancement campaign, and establish strategic engagement and partnerships with foundations and private institutions that share the department’s passion and vision for overall excellence;
- Perform other duties as needed to further the mission of the Department.
The Head position is an administrative appointment accompanied by a 100% tenured faculty appointment with full University benefits. To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position and a statement on commitment to diversity, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references, all as a single PDF file. The statement on diversity should address past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching, and/or service. Complete applications should be received by June 10, 2019, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:1-Faculty Title:College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Electrical and Computer Engineering (114282) Open Date:05/01/2019 Organization Name:Engineering Dean