College of Engineering: Associate Dean for Research - Engineering Administration (114189)
Associate Dean for Research
College of Engineering
The College of Engineering seeks applications for the position of Associate Dean for Research. This position reports to the Dean of Engineering, and is part of the Dean’s leadership team with overall responsibility for proactively working to increase the research enterprise of the College, increasing the visibility of College research, and broadening of research collaborations with state, federal and international agencies as well as industry.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Associate Dean for Research include:
- Facilitate the development of College of Engineering research priorities and advocate for these priorities with funding agencies and potential partner institutions.
- Develop a strategy for the College of Engineering to support the development of large-scale research activities.
- Develop strategies to grow inter-collegial research activities in close collaboration with counterparts in other colleges and campus-wide interdisciplinary research units.
- Establish mechanisms across the College for effective interdisciplinary team-building and responses to calls for proposals.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to teams working to develop large research activities and initiatives.
- Provide leadership in identifying new research opportunities, and assist in establishing and developing large scale collaborations and partnerships among faculty, industry, and government.
- Develop the infrastructure and strategy to significantly expand the College of Engineering’s research partnerships with industry.
- Manage the College’s Strategic Research Initiative competition and support these teams to build significant external funding.
- Develop strategies and processes to expand the college research ecosystem, enterprise, and expenditures.
- Manage the college’s sponsored research cost sharing process in support of attracting new external funding and managing College resources.
- Provide administrative leadership for the management of fiscal and human resources of the Office of Research, including setting direction and priorities, conducting annual evaluations, and ensuring overall compliance with college research and corporate relations operations.
- Liaise with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR), the Office of the Vice-President for Economic Development and Innovation (VPEDI), Office of Sponsored Program Administration (SPA), and the Office of Technology Management (OTM).
- Liaise with college of engineering departmental and laboratory research points-of-contact.
- Work with the Office of Advancement and the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship of the College of Engineering on corporate relations strategies.
- Develop and supervise programs to assist early career faculty in pursuit of research funding, including NSF CAREER and Young Investigator Programs.
- Represent the college on campus-wide committees relating to research policy development, administration, and planning.
- Work with the Director of Facilities on research lab safety issues across the College.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This appointment carries a 12-month administrative stipend for half-time (50%) effort that is accompanied by the full-time, tenured faculty appointment. The effort for this position could increase at a later date based on the level of engagement. Eligible candidates must hold a tenured faculty appointment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Candidates must also show evidence of proven administrative experience with developing and leading large research initiatives, as well as managing competing priorities with effective decision-making and time management capabilities. Strongly desired qualifications include: a recognized national and international scholarly reputation; demonstrated leadership, communication, listening, and administrative skills and experience; strong interpersonal and organizational skills; an understanding of the broad mission of a land-grant university; and acknowledgment of the importance of each of the diverse disciplines represented by College of Engineering research programs.
To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references in a single PDF file. Complete applications should be received by May 20, 2019, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:1-Faculty Title:College of Engineering: Associate Dean for Research - Engineering Administration (114189) Open Date:04/30/2019 Organization Name:Engineering Administration