VP of Postsecondary, Policy and Research
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA
REPORTS TO: President
The Southern Regional Education Board works with states to improve education at every level, from early childhood through doctoral education. A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization based in Atlanta, SREB was created in 1948 by Southern governors and legislatures to advance education and improve the social and economic life of the region. We partner with policymakers such as state legislators and education agency officials as they implement policies to help students achieve more, prepare students for college and careers, and boost college completion. We are an organization of committed professionals with proven track records of helping students achieve academic success.
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE:
Responsible for leading and overseeing activities, staff and budget involved in developing and providing research and policy analysis in two areas that lead to postsecondary attainment: supporting states’ efforts on equity, access, and credential completion; strengthening the capacity of state policymakers and education leaders to create, implement, and sustain effective educational policies and practice from school entry to postsecondary completion.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
• Serves as a member of the SREB Leadership Team in support of the president and the board for the purposes of achieving SREB goals outlined in the SREB Strategic Plan, actively engaging in the leadership and direction of the organization and ensuring collaboration across all offices within the organization.
• Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the office in alignment of the SREB Strategic Plan; prepares and administers the office and program budgets.
• Manages and directs the activities of assigned staff; coordinates, prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; tracks and reviews work progress and activities; leads the recruitment and selection of staff; undertakes disciplinary action as required; conducts performance evaluations.
• Develops and manages grant projects and postsecondary policy initiatives.
• In partnership with State Services, monitors legislation and other policy concerns that impact postsecondary education.
• Creates strategic partnerships with policymakers in various states and with other regional and national organizations.
• Chairs organizational groups, committees and task forces.
• Oversees the research and response to inquiries for information and services.
• Conceptualizes and participates in seminars, conferences and workshops.
• Represents the organization at internal and external meetings with legislators, educational leaders, representatives of governmental, professional and public agencies, and local, regional and national organizations; plans and facilitates meetings as required; provides presentations as required.
• Leads the office in carrying out assigned program and project activities and deliverables.
• Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the office’s service to SREB and its clients by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
• Represents the organization with dignity, integrity, and a spirit of cooperation in all relationships with staff and the public.
This position manages all staff of the office and is responsible for performance management, hiring and termination of staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Doctoral degree in public administration, public policy, higher education, or a related field; AND ten (10) years of related higher education or public policy experience, at a national, regional, state, or institutional level AND five (5) years in a leadership/managerial capacity over postsecondary educational program operations; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills Knowledge of:
• State, national and institutional level postsecondary policies.
• Current trends and practices in postsecondary policies.
• Education trends, processes, and practices, learning styles and modalities.
• Principles and practices of policymaking at the federal, state and local levels.
• Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment.
• Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline.
• Principles and practices of academic policymaking at the federal, state and local levels.
• Principles and practices of budget development and administration.
• Principles and practices of project and program management.
• Principles, practices, materials and techniques of public information and communication.
• Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting and program development, implementation and evaluation.
• Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Software related to program activities.
• Techniques for interacting with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
• Leadership of a team, strategic thinking and execution, and participation on a team.
• Developing effective work teams and motivating individuals to meet goals and objectives and provide services in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
• Principles and practices of project and program management and analytical techniques.
• Producing and reviewing reports, materials, communications and documents for completeness and effectiveness.
• Developing and managing assigned budgets.
• Managing multiple projects and responsibilities.
• Planning, directing and reviewing the work of others on a project or daily basis.
• Developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards.
• Independently performing professional project and programmatic work in the area(s) to which assigned.
• Using initiative and independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
• Maintaining and directing the maintenance of accurate records and files.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
• Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
• Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Mobility to work in typical office setting and use standard office equipment; stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is subject to frequent or extended travel.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit https://www.vs4.vscyberhosting.com/sreb/ to complete our application and upload your curriculum vitae
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our goal is a diverse workforce representative of the people we serve. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where employment opportunities are equally available based on merit with regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, or other protected characteristics. We seek a rich, diverse candidate pool and invite all qualified individuals to apply.