Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs (#11122)
West Virginia University School of Public Health seeks an academic scholar and innovator to join the school’s extraordinary faculty, staff, and students as the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs. The Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs will have primary oversight for the Master of Public Health Program (MPH) as Director. The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs will function as a member of the Dean’s senior leadership team and work collaboratively with all departments and programs within the School. This tenured or tenure-track faculty position will be full-time with approximately 50% percent dedicated to duties as the Assistant Dean and Director and the remainder to teaching, service, and research.
The overarching goal for the administrative portion of this position is to ensure compliance with the 2016 Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) accreditation standards as part of reaccreditation for 2020 and to address gaps identified as part of the strategic planning process for the School of Public Health. Specifically, the duties of the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and the Director of the Masters of Public Health (MPH) Program include:
• Establishing and implementing a strategic plan to ensure the continued success of the MPH program;
• Identifying strengths in the existing program structure in addition to gaps that create opportunities for growth;
• Identifying emerging issues in the practice of public health to inform program development and resource needs;
• Facilitating the development of dual programs in compliance with graduate school mandates and requirements;
• Ensuring accreditation compliance with distance and online learning;
• Fostering and facilitating a broad understanding of preparation and training needs of MPH students to the teaching faculty and school leadership to ensure alignment of these in all MPH program majors representing the school’s MPH program;
• Responsibility to ensure that course requirements, practice-based experiences, the integrated learning experience, and the MPH Core are designed to prepare a competent public health workforce and/or prepare students appropriately for the pursuit of a terminal degree;
• Ensure program compliance with required 2016 CEPH accreditation criteria at all faculty and staff levels.
The administrative component of this position reports to the Senior Associate Dean for Academic, Student, and Faculty Affairs. Furthermore, this assignment includes a faculty component with the remaining 50% effort to be distributed among teaching, faculty, and research in consultation with the Department Chair serving the candidate’s preference for an academic home.
We are a Council on Education School of Public Health (CEPH) accredited School and embrace the values of integrity, respect and equity in our programs and policies. The successful candidate will be vetted with these values in mind. Our new Assistant Dean will be a highly respected public health leader with a strong record of academic achievement, policy and program development, and demonstrated teaching success. It is expected that this individual would have the necessary academic record to be appointed as a member of the Graduate faculty member at the level of Associate Professor or higher with a doctorate degree (ScD, PhD, DrPH) and make important contributions to the teaching and research mission of the school.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU.
Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
The starting date is negotiable and salary is to be commensurate with qualifications. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Doctorate degree (ScD, PhD, DrPH). An academic record to support appointment to Associate Professor or higher level. Must be a highly respected public health leader with a strong record in teaching, service, and research. Previous experience with leadership in a CEPH accredited program preferred but not required. Direct URL to apply: https://careers.wvu.edu/career-opportunities